Inliners International
Posted By: Lugnutz How can I measure to see what cam I have? - 02/16/16 11:30 AM
I have my 230 on the engine stand. It's turned upside down with the oil pan off. It has a different cam than stock but the builder can't remember what he installed. Could be an RV cam. I can see the lobes. How can I measure stuff to figure out what can I have?
You'll need a few tools of the trade to begin with, but a basic dial indicator can measure the lobe lift, but for checking the duration and other critical things you'll need a degree wheel.
So it sounds like I need to do the measuring at the valve stem. I have a dial indicator. I am more curious than anything. Engine runs great but I'd like to to know more about the cam if I can. So maybe I use dial indicator to measure lift at the valve stem cap? Thanks.
Well, its not actually that easy. You'll either need to put checking springs on the valves to be checked or the valve spring will collapse the lifter when you rotate the engine over. Or you need to replace the lifter with a solid lifter that wont collapse when you rotate the engine over.
You might get really lucky and find that its stamped on the snout of the cam. Try pulling the timing cover and see.
Originally Posted By: mdonohue05
You might get really lucky and find that its stamped on the snout of the cam. Try pulling the timing cover and see.

Yes, there is a number stamped on that big cam gear. I saw it the other day when I pulled off the timing cover. I'll look and post a photo too.
Not the cam gear, the snout of the cam.
It is usually stamped on the rear of the rear journal.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board