Inliners International
Posted By: novaconv Engine number, I'm confused - 07/09/08 11:33 PM
OK, I'm probably being lame. I think I have about a 1950 216 engine. I looked on the pad next to the ditributor and it looks like 41 f54y. I went to caasting numbers and find nothing remotely resembling this number. What am I doing wrong.
Thanks for your help.
Terry
Posted By: LGriffin_#4385 Re: Engine number, I'm confused - 07/09/08 11:59 PM
The number you are looking at is the engine code. The engine code tells you where it was made, what it was made for and possibly transmission. The casting number will be on the side of the engine. My casting number guide doesn't go back that far. I'm sure someone will chime in with what you want.

Larry
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Engine number, I'm confused - 07/10/08 07:21 AM
I have forgotten where the casting number is located on a 216, but it may be similar to a 1954 235 or 261. The casting number is a six or seven digit number (no letters) cast with the block, not stamped.

The casting number links to the left include the 216.
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: Engine number, I'm confused - 07/10/08 07:43 AM
41 would be part of a serial number production run.There's probably other numbers you can't make out. F = Flint,MI where the engine was produced. 54 is the model year,1954. Y is the engine/trans designation, 235 cu.in.with a powerglide transmission. All this info can be found on the Old Car Manual Project web site by Keith Hardy.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board