Inliners International
Posted By: Edy 2 piece rear main seal - 01/19/09 09:53 PM
guys,

our chevys 250 and 292 shares the same 2 piece rear main seal with the V8's? i've found on ebay some VITON material seals but for all for v8 chevys.

edy
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 2 piece rear main seal - 01/20/09 12:33 AM
no they are different. tom
Posted By: Edy Re: 2 piece rear main seal - 01/20/09 05:56 PM
Any brand/model that will handle extreme conditions?
Posted By: Edy Re: 2 piece rear main seal - 01/20/09 08:08 PM
I did some research at summitracing and i've found

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...380#Application

it says for v8,v6 and l6!! i got confused now!

Edy
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: 2 piece rear main seal - 01/21/09 12:49 AM
Yeah, that's odd, I thought the 400 rear main was different too.

I tend to be leary of 'fit all' parts (all thread and plumbers tape, sure, but a lip seal?).
Posted By: Edy Re: 2 piece rear main seal - 01/21/09 10:12 AM
I remember reading leoīs book and there is something saying about the chevy 250 sharing the same bell housing bolt pattern, flywheel, and etc but i believe there was nothing about rear main seal. iīll try to find some info on the web... letīs see what i get!

Edy
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: 2 piece rear main seal - 01/21/09 02:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: Nexxussian
Yeah, that's odd, I thought the 400 rear main was different too.

I tend to be leary of 'fit all' parts (all thread and plumbers tape, sure, but a lip seal?).
If a 400 has never been align honed, it can use the same rear seal as any SBC. It if needs to be align honed, the seal lip in the block and main cap have to be machined to a larger ID,to allow the honing mandrel to pass thru the rear cap and hone the housing bores.Felpro and others makes a special rear seal for 400's that have been align honed, and at that point they can't be swapped(align honed/not align honed) or it will leak.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: 2 piece rear main seal - 01/22/09 05:39 AM
That's what I was thinking of, but IIRC there was a different seal some people used as the 'standard' SBC rear main didn't always seal even on one that hadn't been honed.

Might have just been a better grade of seal as opposed to a different app though.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board