Inliners International
Posted By: 56er 3spd o/d kickdown switch question - 04/27/09 02:31 PM
Hello! I'm putting a 3 on the tree with o/d in my 56 4dr driver. I have a question about the kickdown switch thing on the carb. Does it have any special functions, or is it just a micro switch that's not so micro? I'd like to just put a micro switch under the dash that actuates off the gas pedal, but I don't know if it will do what the car needs it to.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: diceman Re: 3spd o/d kickdown switch question - 05/03/09 12:42 AM
The kick down switch usually goes in the floor underneath the gas pedal. If you use a micro switch you will probably need to use a relay with it to handle the current of the O/D solenoid.
Posted By: 56er Re: 3spd o/d kickdown switch question - 05/03/09 03:42 AM
Good. I was not looking forward to finding one of those switches or fabricating a bracket that didn't look like, well that I built it instead of chip foose. I have spare parts for nitrous systems in abundance which are easy to hide.
The kick downs I've worked with are actuated from the throttle linkage. They break the ground from the governor on the trans so the solenoid retracts and it momentarily shorts the ignition so it is easier for the paul to unlock the planetary gears. Any way you can accomplish those two things will work.
Posted By: 56er Re: 3spd o/d kickdown switch question - 05/08/09 05:05 AM
I finally got my wiring diagram book again. I think I can use a microswitch and a relay to do the same thing as the big switch. Thanks for your input guys.
When you get it working don't forget to show it to us!
Posted By: goldstar Re: 3spd o/d kickdown switch question - 05/25/09 08:38 PM
That switch is really 2 switches in 1, but your wiring diagram should keep you straight.
Bob
I just finished one on my 56. I put it under the floorboard with a lever that actuates the plunger on the switch. I put a cable back to the accelerator so when I jump on it the lever pushes the plunger. I haven't driven it yet (have to finish adjust lifters/valves and time it) - hopefully before the week is out I'll know if it works
Posted By: 56er Re: 3spd o/d kickdown switch question - 05/29/09 10:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: goldstar
That switch is really 2 switches in 1, but your wiring diagram should keep you straight.
Bob

Yep. I think you have to tap off the normally on and normally off posts on your standard relay to get everything to work properly.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board