Inliners International
Posted By: mwroaddawg dodge flathead - 09/12/03 08:00 PM
i am looking for an aluminum head,side covers,header and carbs for dual intake for a dodge flathead, thanks for any help.
Posted By: 1937 Dodge Truck Re: dodge flathead - 09/14/03 03:33 AM
Check with Tom Langdon at Landgon's Stovebolt Engine Co. Tom has aluminum side covers, a neat HEI and is taking orders for one of the best sets of headers I have seen for Dodge/Plymouth engines. Edgy is making aluminum heads. I will e-mail you photos of my engine with the Langdon HEI, headers and side covers. Good luck with your project!

------------------
Posted By: Confederado120 Re: dodge flathead - 09/14/03 09:54 PM
Can you e/mail me the pics of your engine to. I thought Edgy only made the cylinder head for the Ply/Desoto (short) flat six.

Thanks, Walt
Posted By: Jim R Re: dodge flathead - 09/14/03 11:18 PM
Hi Walt,
The Dodge and Plymouth flathead blocks are the same. Crankshaft and connecting rods are the only difference. DeSoto did its own thing as did Chrysler.
Jim R
Posted By: blueskies Re: dodge flathead - 09/15/03 01:27 PM
Here's a shot of my '50 plymouth 230. It's got the EDGY head, Edmunds dual water heated intake, 3/4 cam, split factory exhaust manifold, Langond's mini HEI and Holley 5200 carbs, bored 30 over (makes it a 235). I'm thinking of getting a set of Langdon's tube headers, if anyone is intersted in this split exhaust manifold.

Pete

------------------
Check out the restoration of my '50 Plymouth here:

http://home.rmci.net/blueskies/plymouth.html
Posted By: 1937 Dodge Truck Re: dodge flathead - 09/15/03 11:39 PM
You are correct Edgy only makes heads for the Dodge and Plymouth 23" block. I don't know of anyone who currently makes an aluminum head for the Chrysler/Desoto 25" block. Normally, Dodge and Plymouth flathead parts interchange and Chrysler and Desoto parts interchange.
Posted By: Dennis Re: dodge flathead - 09/21/03 10:42 PM
Hey Pete, that's one purty engine! I always liked those ol' flat head MOPARS. I'd like to build one with an S-10 5-speed behind it.
Posted By: blueskies Re: dodge flathead - 10/01/03 04:55 PM
Dennis-

Thanks for the complement. My 230 will be running a '55 dodge overdrive, to gain a bit of road speed. I think the t5 tranny would be better, but I didn't want to give up the column shift, and didn't know of the t5 conversion ability when I bought the overdrive I have. Hope to have it running by spring!

Pete

------------------

Posted By: Dennis Re: dodge flathead - 10/03/03 12:19 AM
Pete,

My step-son has a stock '51 Plymouth with a 217. I can understand why you wanted an overdrive! That sucker has so much low-end torque that 1st gear is NOT necessary when taking off from a start. However, at 60 mph on the highway it seems to be screaming. I've never built a flathead MOPAR, but your engine looks so good......and it's different, so I just might get one and do something like you did. I enjoyed your site, by the way.
Posted By: hotrodbob Re: dodge flathead - 10/09/03 08:40 PM
I ran a small Plym flat head motor with an Isky cam, Offy intake, split exhaust and edmunds head in a '48 coupe with 3.9 rear gears and 29" tall tires and cruzed at 75+mph with no problems and got 20 MPG at 65 mph. Couldn't start in 2nd gear, but pulled strong from 50 mph to 75 mph. Made a believer about 6's of a friend with a 289 mustang.
Posted By: 40 plyguy Re: dodge flathead - 10/24/03 09:40 PM
Your engine looks fabulous! If you're gonna swap exhausts, let me know. Keep us posted, 40 plyguy
Posted By: 51 El Plymino Re: dodge flathead - 10/24/03 10:06 PM
I received word from Earl on October 20th that he is not making the heads at this time. Check back with him first of year to see if he might restart. Price would be $650.00 plus S/H. Don
Posted By: 6cylindersovertexas Re: dodge flathead - 10/25/03 01:11 AM
About two months ago there was a set of Fenton headers on ebay that would have looked super on your engine, Pete, although Mike did a great job on the conversion of the stock exhaust! That's the best looking flathead Mopar I've ever seen! Keep us posted on your progress!
Posted By: blueskies Re: dodge flathead - 11/18/03 03:13 PM
Exhaust update: I decided to go for the Langdon stainless tube headers for my 230, and put my name on the waiting list in September. Just got word from Tom that he may be able to have the headers fabricated in the next two weeks. I can't wait to get them, they are the last piece of the puzzle and I can fire the ol flatty for the first time...

Here's a pic of the headers from Tom.

------------------

Posted By: carlo Re: dodge flathead - 11/21/03 07:45 PM
 Quote:
I ran a small Plym flat head motor with an Isky cam, Offy intake, split exhaust and edmunds head in a '48 coupe with 3.9 rear gears and 29" tall tires and cruzed at 75+mph with no problems and got 20 MPG at 65 mph. Couldn't start in 2nd gear, but pulled strong from 50 mph to 75 mph. Made a believer about 6's of a friend with a 289 mustang.

For the record, my stock drive train '49 Wayfarer Coupe has no trouble reaching 85 mph. I don't know what RPM's it's turning at that speed. I'm pretty sure it will go faster than that if I want to push it even harder.

It's kind of fun to surprise guys in new full-size pickup trucks, jeeps, SUV's etc. by walking away from them up some of the long hills we have in Western Oregon.
I think there are still pics of it in "rides".
© Inliners International Bulletin Board