Inliners International
Posted By: Edy Seasoned blocks - 08/05/08 10:39 PM
Guys

I'm about to look for a good block to my project, and i remember reading about seasoned blocks, repeated cycles of heating and colding makes the iron stronger. Any of you have any information about this? i mean how much old (miles, years) a block can be considered stronger than a new one?

Edy
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Seasoned blocks - 08/05/08 11:20 PM
anything Over 100,000 miles is a good seaoned block is my2cents
Posted By: dbane261 Re: Seasoned blocks - 08/08/08 11:24 PM
yes this is what I've always heard to be a "seasoned" block, meaning it had over 100,000 miles on it and was still non cracked.
Posted By: pinebluffdude Re: Seasoned blocks - 08/09/08 01:56 AM
In the Navy we operated Fairbanks-Morse Diesel Engines.
They told us that Fairbanks engine blocks were heated to about 1200 degrees, then cooled down 100 degrees each day. Then Fairbanks would set the blocks out in a field for a year so they could rust.

I have not read up on the actual process but that is the story I got. The cooling down even is the main thing. Have you ever heard of how cars with Aluminum Heads will get warped heads? This is because the Aluminum cools at a different rate than Iron.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Seasoned blocks - 08/09/08 10:44 AM
The reasom some???????? Or at least used to.but anyway some machine shop used to let the blocks rust for one reason That I ever knew of And that was to let the bores flash over to brake the glaze.Because??? the glazing was hard on the cutting tools.
But so is rust ,But the flash rust can be wiped out.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board