Inliners International
Posted By: mick53 Painting between valve cover fins. - 07/01/18 11:56 AM
I need to paint between the fins on my aluminum valve cover, air cleaners and side covers. I will be painting to match the engine. It's "the restoration shop" Firethorn red pearl. What is the best way to do this? Do I use engine primer or self etching primer. Please dumb down the answer I'm not a painter. Thank you for any advice.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Painting between valve cover fins. - 07/02/18 09:09 PM
The self etching primer should hold up just fine.
Posted By: mick53 Re: Painting between valve cover fins. - 07/03/18 02:02 AM
Thank you Larry.
Posted By: essexguy Re: Painting between valve cover fins. - 12/04/18 11:27 PM
still need to sand it some as for the primer to stick to the aluminum valve cover
Posted By: Greg_H54 Re: Painting between valve cover fins. - 12/06/18 11:36 PM
Been a lot of years but I think I taped off the Offenhauser logo, painted the top, and then carefully used a laquer thinner rag to clean the tops of the fins.
Posted By: mick53 Re: Painting between valve cover fins. - 12/10/18 02:36 PM
I still have some sanding to do in the grooves on the valve covers side cover and breather caps and my 3 air cleaners.I want to get them fairly flat before I start laying primer in them and then sand smooth. I'm working 550 miles from home so I brought them with me so I don't go through withdrawals not being able to work on my truck. I have some red sandable self etching primer from Eastwood. They are going to be Global firethorn red pearl to match the block and truck body. Black pearl fenders.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board