Inliners International
Posted By: RevOD Another Interesting Inline Swap - 04/07/07 08:18 AM
A 1970-72 Monte Carlo stuffed with a Cummings Turbo Diesel and Allison Transmission. This car showed up at our local monthly car cruise. Lets say it drew quite a crowd.

Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Another Interesting Inline Swap - 04/07/07 09:42 AM
neat project, perfect size bay to put it in also. i wonder how they operate the power brakes? tom
Posted By: Mike G Re: Another Interesting Inline Swap - 04/07/07 01:18 PM
Weld a fifth wheel on the roof and it could pay for itself in no time. Ok, wise cracks aside, pretty clever and also neat looking install.
Posted By: Dennis Re: Another Interesting Inline Swap - 04/07/07 01:58 PM
Now that is cool!

Make you own fuel and drive for '70 fuel prices! I would like to know more about the engine model, cubic inches, HP, etc, etc!

One of the best vehicles I ever owned was a '72 Mercedes 240D! At 240,000 miles it was running like a watch, when I got t-boned at an intersection!
Posted By: JasonS Re: Another Interesting Inline Swap - 04/08/07 10:45 AM
It looks like a 24 valve cummins 5.9L with the VP44 injection pump. The 2002 dodge ram with the HO engine has 245 HP and 460 ft-lbs torque. Easily upgraded to much more than that. Neat swap. I wonder what had to be done to handle the 1k lbs engine weight.
Posted By: Dennis Re: Another Interesting Inline Swap - 04/08/07 12:11 PM
Man! That Monte should fly fly! With the right gearing it should get respectable mileage, too.

I see turbo-4 banger diesels from wrecked delivery trucks on ebay, now and then. Seems like a good choice for pickups.
Posted By: Ray Bell Re: Another Interesting Inline Swap - 05/08/07 08:59 AM
There's probably a vacuum pump in there somewhere to work the brake booster...

Or maybe he's made himself a gearbox-driven mechanical servo system like Rolls-Royce had in the thirties?
There is a gear driven vaccuum pump on the engine. The PS pump bolts to the back of it.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board