Inliners International
Posted By: karenfargo2003 265 inch flathead - 04/19/07 08:08 AM
Hello everybody

Some of you may have seen my posts from the past about installing adapting the complete computer distributor and throttle body injection from a chevy 4.3 liter engine to a long block (25 inch) dodge in line 6

I had no idea what cubic inch the motor is, other than the long block 25 inch motor and the engine id serial matched up to nothing.

Any how i parked the truck until now, because the engine had a slight rap.which i believe is a main bearing.

But recently i had the good fortune to buy a 265 inch industrial motor, with less than 10 hours run time on it. It was part of a 3 phase standby generator.

The motor is totaly free of any sludge, in fact the cylinder head is still shiny in side the combustion chamber.

As a matter of fact, it even came with the engine logs, very lucky for me.

The plan is to bolt on the complete fuel injection setup from the old motor.

I will also be machining the adapters to hook up the engine with a torque fight trans.

I have a few questions that i hope you will be able to answer or share some knowledge with me, i would very much appreciate it.

I have heard that the connecting rods are weak in these motors and to stay away from high compression heads. Is that accurate?

Who is the person to go to for a reground cam?

the reason i am going with the torqueflight is that i will be using the fargo to pull and old 24' airstream, and i feel that it would be easier with an automatic.

So the cam grind i am looking for would produce even more torque.

Any information you can provide will be really appreciated,

I would appreciate it if Don Coatney would contact me, but welcome any help or suggestions

Thanks,

John Schaner

You can write me off the list at john@fargopickup.com
Posted By: blueskies Re: 265 inch flathead - 04/20/07 07:04 PM
John-

For the cam, I would contact Earl Edgerton of Edgy Cams. You can contact him through his website:

http://www.visionquestwebdesign.com/edgycams/

Earl did Don Coatney's cam, and races a long block Chrysler flat six on the salt in a '33 Chrysler. He can probably answer your questions about the rods too.

Here's a pic of his race engine, a custom 12 port fuel injected flathead with lots of one off aluminmum castings...

Pete
Posted By: Ray Bell Re: 265 inch flathead - 04/24/07 06:48 PM
John, I don't think an automatic is really the way to go... despite what you see written in magazines etc.

You have more control with a manual, in my opinion, especially on mountain descents and the like.
Posted By: Rusty O'Toole Re: 265 inch flathead - 06/22/07 09:59 PM
Here is a very interesting article by a long time owner of a 1951 DeSoto 8 passenger sedan, and how he rebuilt a 265 flathead six for it. He tows a trailer at 70 MPH and reports that at 10000 feet altitude it runs as smooth as a turbine.

There is also some discussion of safe RPM's, temps, miles between overhauls etc.

The stock connecting rods are not weak as long as you respect the fact that you have a long stroke engine and keep the revs down to 3600 or so.

For trailer towing the stock cam will be fine. In fact a totally stock engine will handle the load with the least stress and the longest life.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board