Inliners International
Posted By: SMF Speed&Custom Rebuilding 251 Flathead - 01/12/08 11:13 PM
I am going to be getting a quote on Monday about a local machine shop to machine and rebuilt my 251 flathead out of my 46 Chrysler 3 window coupe. One thing I need to know and tell him is what I want to do to help out the performance on this thing... What would you recommend for machining and cam wise, etc to get it to perform much better than stock? I figured I might as well do this since it is going to get rebuilt...
Thanks.
Posted By: 52er Re: Rebuilding 251 Flathead - 01/13/08 02:00 AM
Go to page four on this section and there is lots of info on Flathead Modifications, page 1&2. Another good source is George Asche he is a wealth of info also--is number has been mentioned quite often on this site, his number is 814-354-2621. I am doing a 265 and have talked to George about the same thing you are doing.I wanted more snap but not radical. He suggested going 60 over on the bore, 60-70 milling on the head and re-grind on the cam for a 380 lift. More carbs and dual split or headers for the exhaust. I am running three carbs,split exhaust and a T-5 tranny with 3:50 rear. Most of my mods are in but will finish what is left over this winter in time for spring----I can`t wait to see how it does! A good electronic ignition helps too. Don Coatney has done all this stuff to his 251 already and is very pleased with the results. He is on the P15-D24 site quite often along with the Inliners site--good info there also. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out........52er
Posted By: SMF Speed&Custom Re: Rebuilding 251 Flathead - 01/13/08 02:23 AM
Thanks for the info 52er I will look into this. I actually met Don Coatney here in North Carolina at a meet they had in Concord. Nice and cool guy with lots of information to share. I will talk to him about his and see what I should do. I dont need to go out and radical on this thing, I just thought that I might as well have the machinest do whatever he can to get more performance out of it while he is working on it.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board