Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54482 12/30/09 01:51 PM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
I know this is a crude and inacurate concept but it's a concept.
Twin-turbo set up. What do you think?

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
It is a concept, take a look at the Brazillian cars for turbo ideas, there may be a twin turbo rail. Generally for performance a large single turbo seems to work but visually your idea has merit.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Hmm..you could use 2 smaller turbos, probably off of a 2 liter engine? So, that'd be pretty inexpensive.

As far as the feed to the intake, maybe a box around the carbs? Otherwise I think the carbs need to be special set up to handle the pressure - with the box, it's the same pressure inside and out? I dunno. Just thinking outloud.

I like the idea, thats for sure!

Planning some new things for your coupe, eh?

-Sam.

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
Contributor
Contributor
two 87-88 turbo coupe turbo's would work. And, they're cheap and easy to find. A lot of plumbing though for no real gain. Definite cool points.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Aren't twin turbos used for less turbo lag?

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
It's fairly obvious I do not know all that goes into a turbo, let alone a twin turbo, application. There are many on this site that have years of practical experience and knowledge on this subject.
Althought this was an exercise in pure conceptual and perhaps visual accomplishments, it has led me to think of a more practical Horsepower gain solution. This idea, still in it's infancy, will utilize off the shelf products but used in a unique combination with each other. An alternative to superchargers and turbochargers that I think will result in the same horsepower if not a good precentage more! It would be a simple bolt-on afternoon installation with no advanced mechanical degree needed. Simply, a "kit" that could give your motor a large "Kick". Please be patient while I still gather more info on this idea. I will present it here for all to critique soon.

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
The cast iron headers should work nicely for a turbo app,as far as I know Tom Langdon said nobody has used them for a turbo app,but maybe for you guys that cannot use the SPA manifold,maybe you can use Tom Langdons manifold instead of fabbing a turbo manifold header.

I though about them,before I bought my SPA manifold.

Running a twin turbo set-up, will cost a lot more, complicate things more,more plumbing etc.

You can select the correct turbo for your application easier these days, but for the WOW factor you can use dual turbos,& get a little better streetabiliy especially if you want to make big power, running a larger single turbo will spool slower than 2 smaller turbos.

All depends on your goals.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Rap, N2O will definetly give more Gow, but I don't know how well it will cooperate with the siameese intakes, might have to use a gaseous fuel for enrichment (ie propane) as I've heard seveal stories of headaches caused by the gas making a turn that fuel didn't want to.

I've also been told that a good rule of thumb is to remove 2* of lead for each 50 Hp worth of "shot".

Of course I may be way off on what you were thinking, just guessing, was I close? \:\)

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available