Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#71945 10/04/12 11:20 PM
70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
As I am waiting for parts and have the bare block on a stand, I'm concentrating my attention to the block itself.

I'll be cleaning the main oil galley and tapping the plug hole, and this would be a good opportunity to delete the oil filter bypass.

I've searched high and low and read the Power Manual, but I don't have a definite answer. In my "other life" (aircooled VW high performance) it is a given, every engine gets full flow filtration. (They had no oil filter at all from the factory). So I am leaning towards it now as well.

If I do it, what would be the best filter to use? Modern filters have a built-in bypass valve inside, in case of overpressure or from just plain getting too dirty. I am running a high flow pump. Is the stock bypass allowing flow at all times? That's how some older engines were, I don't know this one for sure. It sure seems weak when I poke and prod it, not much more than an anti drain back valve. (Which is also incorporated in modern filters).

I am not after higher than good, healthy stock pressure. Just volume. (In case I add a turbo and an oil cooler later on).

Any input welcome... I am new to these engines as you can probably tell. ;\)

Jan

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I use a wix 51061 filter.
I also block the oil bypass with a soft plug ( like a frost plug).

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Ok, I just got done cleaning the main oil galley. Flywheel end had a threaded plug with a 5/16" square hole. made a tool to fit and removed it. The timing end was a blind freeze plug type, I got it out and threaded the hole for 3/8 - 18NPT and got a plug for it.
What I found inside was absolutely hideous. Big chunks of black crap at both ends of the bore, just behind the end plugs. Glad I took the time to open it up and look.

With that out of the way it was time to revisit the ole oil filter bypass. I don't want that crud to collect in the oil passages ever again, so I will plug the bypass.

I assume the hole has a step at the bottom to stop a push-plug from going in too far? The Santucci book says to tap the hole for a threaded plug, but a freeze plug type of deale-o might work just as well, there's nothing behind it to force it to back out. Rrriight? \:\)

Slow progress as usual, my piston ring budget had to make way for Halloween costumes and other related paraphernalia. Got 3 kids.

Jan

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Be careful on that front hole.There are oil passages that can be blocked by to long of a plug.

With the correct sized soft plug on the bypass, it will never fail.

Inliner Member 1716

70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Yea I saw the oil holes near the end, and I didn't cut threads all the way to the holes.

Thank You!

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
 Originally Posted By: 70Nova
If I do it, what would be the best filter to use? Modern filters have a built-in bypass valve inside, in case of overpressure or from just plain getting too dirty.

If you are interested, Purolator Pure One, Mobil One, Fram Tough Guard, and Bosch Distance Plus oil filters have finer filtration rates than almost all the other lines of these and other manufacturer's standard oil filters.

Most, but not all modern filters have built-in bypass valves, depending on the specifications of the engine manufacturers. If you plug the bypass valve in the engine block, ensure the oil filter has an internal bypass valve for those freezing cold winter engine starts.

In the past, Purolator filter manuals found at automotive stores contained filter construction information, such as the fitting thread size and the bypass valve pressure setting. From that manual's information, with close inspection of the specifications, I was once able to select a larger filter in place of the Lilliputian OEM one specified by the manufacturer.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Wix 51061 has no internal bypass. Wix 51061 filter specs

Last edited by tlowe #1716; 10/10/12 12:25 AM.

Inliner Member 1716

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Wix 51061 has no internal bypass. Wix 51061 filter specs

Do they make a longer filter than this that will work on our 194-292 engines?

I never looked into it, but are the truck filters longer than the passenger car filters?

What are those P.N.'s?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Chevrolet and GMC Trucks (63-90) - (Two Quart Version is 51794)

Inliner Member 1716

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Tom is using Wix #s. For those who don't know Wix filters are good. I won't get into product bashing here but some well known brands are not worth putting on. The standard Napa and CarQuest filters are Wix. If you are going to use Fram use the Tough Guard or High Milage grades.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Now if someone could confirm a part # that does have internal bypass, that would be cool \:\) I'll keep looking too, just don't have time right now. Thanks again everyone for the info.

70Nova Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Still looking for the filter.

The only one I have found so far, is Fram HP8... high performance, very high flow numbers, and constructed to withstand high pressures.. has both anti drain-back and bypass valve. Bypass opens at 22psi though.... is that bad? I have a high volume pump.

Two bad things can happen.. bypass doesn't open when it should, starving the bearings of oil. Or it is open too much, sending unfiltered oil through most of the time.

I should add.... the way the bypass works: at cold start, there is zero pressure ins the main oil galley, and heaps of pressure coming from the pump to the filter. The bypass should be wide open to protect the filter and allow adequate, fast flow to the bearings and such. Once oil fills the oil passages, it starts building pressure AFTER the filter. When the pressure after the filter has reached the trigger limit of the bypass valve, the valve closes and all oil flows through the filter. The valve opening pressure does not refer to the absolute oil pressure in the system, but rather, the pressure DIFFERENCE between different sides of the filter. If there is 30PSI on both sised of the oil filter, the relief valve sees ZERO pressure differential and will not be open. When the filter gets dirty, the pressure builds higher inside the filter as the oil cannot flow through as easily, and the pressure in the main oil galley drops. The difference in pressure then eventually reaches the opening treshold pressure of the built-in filter and it starts passing unfiltered oil through.

So... the only filter I have so far found that has the features I need, has a 22psi pressure differential opening point. Just wondering if that's good or bad. I have seen lower numbers on other filters (Just for reference, they don't fit this engine).

Last edited by 70Nova; 11/18/12 09:53 PM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Skulptorchaz), 346 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available