Rate Thread
#81855 08/05/14 06:34 PM
M
Mitch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
I was wondering if anyone has pictures of the 194/230/250/292 engines when they were new, from magazines or archives of some sort. I'm planning the paint for my engine and although I'm not going with an original color, I would like to see what parts were painted in color vs black or not at all.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
My '78 Camaro engine compartment was rusty and greasy, but otherwise everything was factory original. The Chevy's (and most GMs) had the same paint apps for the under hood items. Master cylinder, EGR base, hood hinges/latch, and fuel pump base were all cast iron in appearance. With the alternator, valve cover filter elbow, distributor base/hold-down, and wiper motor in cast aluminum. While the master cylinder lid, power brakes booster, EGR valve, alternator fan/pulley, and fuel pump top (bottom if it were on V8) were all gold anodized. The starter is flat black and the solenoid stainless steel. The Thermac air cleaner assembly is a gloss black. The fire wall and frame are flat black. Everything else that was painted, was semi-gloss black. The Mono-Jet carbs were gold colored zinc dichromate finish, except for the throttle body which was a silver

If you're asking about what was painted engine color on the engine, the factory basically assembled most of the engine together and then painted it all at once. Valve cover, timing cover, oil pan, water pump, balancer, intake manifold, and manual bell housing were all painted factory engine color with the block and head. The engine color before '78 was Chevy orange, while the '78 and '79 car 250s were GM blue (which was more of a robin's egg blue, but the modern spray can engine paint is actually Chrysler blue labeled GM blue). The distributor, fuel pump, starter, carb, pulleys, accessory brackets, exhaust manifold and EGR valve were bolted on after the engine was painted.

What it looked like when I bought it:

And current level of restoration:

M
Mitch Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Very detailed response and many of my questions were answered, thank you!

If anyone else has more information or pictures, please add them. Can't have too much!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 252 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available