Print Thread
Rate Thread
#109 06/03/03 06:18 PM
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I just won a Mallory dual point distributor for a 6cyl. Does anyone know of a source for parts for these? Also, is there a website with details on Mallory part numbers? I want to make sure this thing will actually fit my 235 before I start buying parts for it!
Thanks,
Joe

------------------
'50 Chevy Fleetline DeLuxe ('55 235)
'48 Chevy Fleetmaster coupe ('60 235)
Chicago
http://www.geocities.com/hellfish122

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
'48 Chevy Fleetmaster coupe (late 261)
Chicago
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Go to this site and look at page 13 for applications.
http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/DistributorsM.pdf

The 235 and late models are different part numbers.

Congrats on the free stuff! I'm sure somebody will take it off your hands if it's the wrong one for your 235.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
New style or old style? Mallory still makes a dual point for the 235 as far as I know. I have one on the shelf. Used to have it in my truck. Got it from Clifford about 12 years ago. If you don't find anything, post the numbers and I'll see if its the same as what I have.

I.I. #3174
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
it looks old. I know you can still get them new for around $200. This one was $50.
The numbers on it are Model-ZB Type-180BX
Can I, or should I, add dual coils? Other than looking cool, is there any advantage to that? BTW, it's going in a '60 235 .06 over, dual carbs, dual exhaust. A cam will come later.

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
I went through the same thing with a dual point Mallory distributer about 3years ago, it to was an early type. I contacted Mr Gasket, who I believe now owns Mallory, they are located in Carson City, Nevada, and asked them the same questions that you have. They indicated there weren't many parts available for the early type distributer. I ended up trading in my old one and, if I remember right, only paying $70 to $80 for a new one from them. Unfortunately I didn't ask if they made one with vacuum advance.
Hope this helps

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Gentlemen;

Here is my 2 cents worth

The Mallory works great but has no vacume advance, which is a must for street use. It takes a little machine work to get the VA to fit. Once your there; it's the greatest.

Good luck, John M., #3370

------------------

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
nuts. but you CAN fit a vac adv to it, right? where can i get the parts? Did you exchange your unit with Mr Gasket?

according to MrGasket's catalog, Mallory does have a vacuum advance dual point dizzy http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/DistributorsM.pdf
got to pg 13 of the catalog (pg10 of the pdf)
it's Series #27. It doesn't list prices for some reason, or at least I can't find any.

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Definitely the old style. I haven't seen any parts (points, rotor, cap) specifically for one of those, but then I haven't looked either. It may be possible to use the later version parts. You would have to get some and compare. I would think someplace in Chicago would stock Mallory parts.
Vaccuum advance is not necessary, the factory dual point V8 distributors in the 50's were mechanical only. As long as you can achive full advance by your desired rpm, there is no need for it.
Gas milage? what gas milage.... its a hot rod

[This message has been edited by gearhead (edited 06-05-2003).]

I.I. #3174
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I got the distributor in the mail and it came with and extra cap, points, etc.

So, it's an early style distributor. Will this one fit the 235? What do i need to do to make sure it fits?

It sounds like a) vacuum advance is not neccessary, but it would probably make things better/easier and b)I can retro-fit a vacuum advance to this distributor (maybe from the stock distributor??). Right? What do I need to do to convert this Mallory to a vacuum advance?

There's a Chevy performance shop down the street from me, but I've heard they're really pricey. This will give me a good reason to go and talk to them, but I'd like to be armed with some more info first.

Thanks,
joe

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
To know for sure if it's the right one, check the numbers with Mallory, or compare it against your stock dist. The part that goes into the block is what you're mainly concerned about. Get a dial caliper and find out.

Advance. If you look at a manual, you will find that the stock '60 dist. has 13@1750rpm total mechanical advance, with another 11 deg. vac adv. at full vaccuum for a total of 24 degrees by around 2000rpms (pointer and ball lined up per stock for initial adv). If your old Mallory is like my newer one, it has an adjustable mechanical advance which is probably set to 24 deg. right from Mallory, but can be adjusted from 16-28. If you feel you need more that this, just advance your initial timing to make up the difference. If you add too much into it (like adding an extra vac setup) you will end up with silent knock or pinging.
Using a vac gage to help set your initial timing, then an adjustable timing light and a tachometer to find when you have full advance should be all you need. After road testing it you may need to make small changes, but that should get you pretty close. If you can find somebody with a distributor machine, they can check the curve for you and make any changes or recomendations as needed.

Just taking another look at the photos, what is that housing side connection in your second photo? Is that for a tach drive or vac hookup?? I can't tell. Perhaps it has a vac adv built in already??

I.I. #3174
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I have absolutely no idea what that thing is. I really don't know much I'll take some more pix tonight and maybe someone will be able to identify it.

Thanks,
Joe

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That looks 99% like a tach drive.

Vacuum advance is a good idea for a street engine. After fighting driveability problems with a Mallory Unilite (No V.A.) I installed a stock HEI, end of problems. HERE is what Tom Langdon has to say about Vacuum advance.

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
Vacuum advance sounds better. John (above) says that a vacuum advance can be adapted to fit the Mallory. What needs to be done to accomplish this? Any idea on cost?
Thanks, again!
Joe

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Well, I knew if I'd get a rise out of somebody on this. I guess I just don't see it the same way. Maybe it's my racer friends influencing me again. I'm running a 250 HEI in my 261 without the vac hooked up and it seems to be fine. Do what you want. As for adding vac to that dist., Just take the vac assembly off the original, and clamp onto the Mallory. You may need to open up the hole in the clamp or turn down the dist housing, but that would be the worst of it. Just make sure the distance from the clamp to the end of the shaft is correct when you're done.

I.I. #3174
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
You can buy the Mallory brand new from Patrick's Antique Cars and Truck's in Casa Grand, AZ. As far as I know, He's the only supplier in the country for this 235/261 distributor.
As far as parts go, I've bought new points and condensor from my local Car Quest. They had to special order them, though. Points will run you around $25.00 to replace.

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
Mr Gasket also carries them as well as several other places. I'm not sure about Patricks, but judging by the price it is probably the same unit everyone sells and it looks quite a bit different than the one I have. The ones being sold now are shiney billet aluminum with a red cathedral-like cap. The parts are probably interchangeable, though.

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
here's my Mallory (top) next to the stock dizzy. They don't quite look the same to me. What do you think?

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well...pictures can be deceiving, but it sure looks like the upper part of the shaft is a bigger diameter than the stock unit. Have you done a trial fit on your 235? How does the drive gear-to-oil pump tang measurement compare?

Was this an EBay deal? Did the seller state it would fit a 235?

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I'll do some measuring tonight. It was an ebay deal, but the seller said it "might fit a 235." He wasn't sure. I took a chance.

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
OK, the dizzy fits into the engine, but I can't tell if it really connects or not. I measured it and the stock dizzy shaft is 1" longer than the Mallory shaft. I looked in my reprint of the 1951 California Bill's Chevy Speed Manual and it shows a pic of a dizzy exactly like mine, so I'm thinking that maybe this Mallory is for a 216 or early 235. Were the 216/early 235 dizzys shorter than the later 235s?

Cali Bill (1951, 1954), Huntington (1951), and Santucci all suggest using either a Mallory dual dizzy OR using a dual point conversion kit for the stock dizzy. Does anyone know where I can get a kit? Santucci says they're easy to find at swap meets, but I've heard that before. I've been to many HUGE swaps, including all Chevy meets, and not seen any inline parts.

Thanks,
Joe

------------------
Chicago http://www.geocities.com/hellfish122

[This message has been edited by Hellfish (edited 06-25-2003).]

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
Contributor
Contributor
The 216-261 engines all use exactly the same distributor dimensions, the only differance being the composition of the gear when they changed to full pressure engines (they also changed camshaft composition).

The critical dimension is between the gear and the end of the oil pump drive. The distributor is a downthrust dist (cam pulls it inward) and the only way it is really restrained is rotationally by the clamp. If it fits in there and the oil pump gets driven, then it is ok. You can coat the gear with prussian blue, run the engine, and pull it out and make sure the cam runs in the middle. If you get oil pressure, you are ok.

I have a dual point conversion plate in my stock distributor. It works great. I got it for $10 NOS off e-bay, and it came with everything but points. It was made in the '50's and had the delco number for the points I need. It had a mounting bracket for mounting the condensor externally, too. Best $10 I ever spent.

------------------
1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.

[This message has been edited by 4onthefloor (edited 06-25-2003).]

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Keep in mind that the Mallory and the Corvette (Delco Remy) distributor had a larger breaker cam that allowed higher RPMs without the points bouncing.The Corvette dist.#1112314 had single points,not dual like many people think.I sold my Corvette dist.to a guy restoring a 54 Corvette and built My own electronic dist.using a Motorcraft dist.from a 258 AMC Jeep engine.I also have a early Mallory dual point dist.out in the garage somewhere,but quit using it because of the cost of replacement parts.Just a few extra comments to add to the pot.
EvilDr235

------------------
Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Remember EvilDr235 has a cure for Your sixness.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm glad the Dr. is in....What did you have to do to that AMC piece to make it work on a 235? I've had one stashed away for years, thinking it looked pretty close and might be worth adapting. It came from a late Pacer 258, nice & compact. Nasty blue cap though, gotta paint that!

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
Doc,
Could you check the numbers on your old Mallory? I can't seem to find any info on mine, so I'm not sure it's even the right distributor yet. I think it's too short. Someone on eBay was selling a Mallory that he said was a Model ZB (like mine, but don't know the Type) and he said he thought it was for a flathead (must've been a flat 6), but he wasn't sure either. I really want to use a vintage Mallory, so I'm hoping this one will work.
Thanks,
Joe

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Jack,
The AMC dist.I used was out of a late 70s or early 80s jeep.Had to turn the AMC mounting flange off so the dist.would drop further into to the 235 engine.The AMC engine has a timing chain and sprockets,so the cam turns clockwise,unlike the Chevy cam that turns counter clockwise.The AMC cam gear and dist.gear are cut so the AMC dist.turns clockwise like the Chevy does.Had to turn the AMC dist.shaft down to half inch dia.so the Chevy dist.gear would fit on it.I am using a dist.holddown clamp off a Ford Fiesta 1600 pushrod engine.I am using a Ford dist.module that came off a mid 1970s Lincoln 460.It is a common one used for alot of years.I am using a two piece cap and rotor off a 200 Ford six.The caps come in blue or grey and use 8MM wires.I am using the dist.just as it came from the AMC engine with no mods.to the advance rate or curve with good results on a stock 235 engine.
I work in a wrecking yard so I had no problem finding what I needed.I am going to use the same setup on My 235 Chevy trike I am building.sorry to be so short with details, but we are on vacation and are going on a road trip today.I will try to get back with more details later if needed.
EvilDr235

------------------
Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Hellfish,
give me a couple of days to find it.It is out in the garage somewhere and I am going to be in and out of the house for the next couple of days.
EvilDr235

------------------

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I did some more measuring last night and the Mallory fits in up to the second "lip" and the stock distributor fits in so that the groves in the shaft are just below the surface. What are those grooves for? WHy is there a hole there? Oiling? ANd for my final stupid question, how does a vacuum advance work? It looks like it just clamps on to the distributor shaft. If that was the case, couldn't I just clamp it onto the Mallory? John Meredith (above) says I can have the Mallory machined to accept the VA, but I don't see anything on the stock shaft that would indicate anything would need to be machined.
Thanks,
joe

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Figured out what that side connection is for yet?

I.I. #3174
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
I don't know. I thought someone thought it was for the tach. the engine is sitting on my floor, so I can't even test anything yet. I'm still trying to find out if the dizzy will work in my 235!

------------------
Chicago

'59 Chevy BelAir (v8)
Chicago
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Every mechanical tach drive setup I've seen uses what looks like a speedo hookup. Yours looks like a brass compression fitting. Like the guys at the HAMB tried to tell you, it probably allready has a vac built in. Why add a vac to it if it allready has one, right?

As for it fitting in the motor, did you measure everything? did you install the original and mark the housing and then compare to the Mallory? Where is the vac for the stock dist? Have you talked to any suppliers about the part numbers on it?

Focus

I.I. #3174
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here is a thread from June of 2003, though the pictures gone and the links don't work there is valuable information about old Mallory dual points and their use. This could not be found by new people coming to this board looking for it.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Here is a thread from June of 2003, though the pictures gone and the links don't work there is valuable information about old Mallory dual points and their use. This could not be found by new people coming to this board looking for it.

I agree - it's important that we preserve the history of postings on our Bulletin Board - it's a knowledge base that doesn't exist anywhere else on the www.

Good news - Google has crawled and indexed every last post . . .
Try it. Google:"site:inliners.org Mallory 235 Chevrolet" this post is number one!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is cool! I did notice that some sites use Google for their searches. When I have found Inliner post using google the good thing is that you can post a link to it un like here where it all goes back to the home page. There is hope, Thanks. The BB is separate from the website maybe it can be left alone and fixed from the outside with tricks like this and the one I use?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 221 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available