As I am waiting for parts and have the bare block on a stand, I'm concentrating my attention to the block itself.

I'll be cleaning the main oil galley and tapping the plug hole, and this would be a good opportunity to delete the oil filter bypass.

I've searched high and low and read the Power Manual, but I don't have a definite answer. In my "other life" (aircooled VW high performance) it is a given, every engine gets full flow filtration. (They had no oil filter at all from the factory). So I am leaning towards it now as well.

If I do it, what would be the best filter to use? Modern filters have a built-in bypass valve inside, in case of overpressure or from just plain getting too dirty. I am running a high flow pump. Is the stock bypass allowing flow at all times? That's how some older engines were, I don't know this one for sure. It sure seems weak when I poke and prod it, not much more than an anti drain back valve. (Which is also incorporated in modern filters).

I am not after higher than good, healthy stock pressure. Just volume. (In case I add a turbo and an oil cooler later on).

Any input welcome... I am new to these engines as you can probably tell. ;\)

Jan