Rate Thread
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
dyno results

Another good example (not mine) of what a 4200 can make without getting into the engine at 9.5 psi. This is with stock GM electronics and a tune.

Swap the engine
install turbo & intercooler
tune

Dyno test.

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/17/13 02:14 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
+1 on the meth/unicorn tears!

'71 Chevy Shortbox 250ci
'99 Jeep TJ 242ci
Inliner #5787
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
If I'm not mistaken, it's a stock 2006 engine, right? (With the exception of the turbo.) Those numbers are pretty darn cool. It makes one wonder what would happen if there was an aftermarket that supported these engines. By comparison, the 2013 Camero SS is putting out 426 Hp. The 4200 is down 2 cylinders and over 100 Cubic inches.

With the torque converter not staying engaged at the top end. I'm assuming it's due to the pump cavitating. A problem the 700R4 and 4L60's always had. With that much power I'm guessing the trans. won't live long anyway.

Looking forward to more results. Good Job guys!

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
bone stock internally, bigger injectors.

could be the pcm was unlocking the convertor.

when i dyno my on stuff i force the convetor to lock - just ground the wire for the l/u solenoid

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Originally Posted By: Whitedog
It makes one wonder what would happen if there was an aftermarket that supported these engines.

With a bit of effort (read $$$) you can get all the parts to do one.

To get the aftermarket to pay attention - it takes people asking for the parts.

If 200 (I know its a pipe dream)people called say Comp cam on the same day asking for cams it just might get their attention. This is big hole that needs to get filled. Sure billet blanks are available - this is how anyone gets cams for this engine now - but they are not cheap.

Kooks is coming onboard with headers - hopefully not so expensive that folks choke on the price.

I'm convinced that by:

- porting the head
- headers
- cams
- good tune

This is a 375HP (crank) engine NA. That's 396 BBC output in the late 60's.

With reduced compression (2 points from stock) and a stock exhaust manifold, I made 350ish crank with cams and a ported head/1mm os valves.

Ignore the OS valves and keep the stock compression with headers and cams and you have a fun engine to go play with. The one thing with these engines is you don;t need a lot of duration (200* @ 050) would be a real nice set of street cams. Once the head flow is balanced it really works well.

The window to get parts demand up is now - wait 5 years and the engines will start to be harder to come by. Production stopped in 2009. The 2002 engines are now 11 years old. Peak production was I think 2004/2005. The main update was 2006 with tweaks in 2008 to the crank and timing wheels.

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/21/13 04:14 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I think there are several reasons this motor doesnt get much attention. The aftermarket is so LS crazy right now. Jegs and Summit have everthing on the self to make BIG power. Hell, even the Ford mustang guys a ditching there Ford motors for LS units. The have the new 4 valve coyote will make a ton of power when ever swapped into place. The 4 valve motor could get pricey and doesent have the aftermarket the LS does. The 4200 is really modern motor and poeple want to stay with push rods I guess. Maybe Kooks Headers will stat a trend and thing will look better for this motor.

Is there an aftermarket for the 5 cylinder Colorado engine?

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Btw-whats parts are available in the aftermarket? EFI-DIY i know you have the oil pan but what else is there?

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Ok since you asked...

block to trans adapter plates
billet flywheels
torque convertor spacers (needed when using a non 4l60 and an adapter plate).
adjustable timing gears
oversize intake and exhaust valves
high tension valve springs/retainers/locks
Jessel valve train parts
rear sump oil pans
billet cam blanks
4340 h beam 6.00 rods
forged pistons - racetec, J&E among others
kooks headers
injectors upto 80#
high output coils & brackets
starter adapters for a tilton starter
billet girdles
SFI approved flex plates
ARP main and head studs
Distributor conversion

The colorado has a bigger aftermarket since its in a pickup, turbo & supercharger kits.

The Jeep guys are swapping the 4200 in place of the 4.0 jeep - saving 120 to 150# off the nose. They pick up 120 to 180 HP depending on what they started with. T

Originally Posted By: MIGHTY6
I think there are several reasons this motor doesnt get much attention. The aftermarket is so LS crazy right now. Jegs and Summit have everthing on the self to make BIG power. Hell, even the Ford mustang guys a ditching there Ford motors for LS units. The have the new 4 valve coyote will make a ton of power when ever swapped into place. The 4 valve motor could get pricey and doesent have the aftermarket the LS does. The 4200 is really modern motor and poeple want to stay with push rods I guess. Maybe Kooks Headers will stat a trend and thing will look better for this motor.

Is there an aftermarket for the 5 cylinder Colorado engine?

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/22/13 01:32 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
It's too bad GM didn't develop this engine platform any further. If it were to make it into the Colorado, it may have made all the difference. The time to do it was when Larry Ragland was screaming through Baja in his Trophy Truck. GM had the chance to build a killer SUV based on the Atlas, but instead built a plastic bumpered disposable mall crawler. Their answer was the H3, and I'm not going to go there. The drivetrain is the best part of the TB/Envoy platform. Personally, I think the interest has peaked and is on the downhill slide. People like us are the only ones that really care. On another note, how much aftermarket does there need to be? The 4200 already will outhorsepower a stock small block and it will fit into just about anything. When you compare numbers that EFI-DIY, Limequat, and Autoroc are getting out of their engines and compare it to the Ford Lightnings and Mustang Cobra's of a few years ago. The 4200 more than holds its own.

Last edited by Whitedog; 01/22/13 08:52 PM.
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
If GM would have put this motor in the gen5 camaro we would not even be talking about this. The v6 in the new camaro has an aftermarket following. As most due when targeting young buyers.

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
On another note, how much aftermarket does there need to be?

If EFI is maintained, the head even with the stock valve sizes can be reworked to even the flow balance out. With Kooks making headers (I asked they will sell them without the 2:1 Y merge and cat - so folks can run true duals), the only real parts missing are camshafts.

Peel the insulation off of the stock intake and paint it. If it really does not work for you flanges are available to roll your own.

If EFI is not your game then get Jerry's distributor conversion and build a carb intake. The engine runs quite well with out the VVT - retarding the exhaust cam 1 tooth (7*) helps on the top end if the VVT is not used.

After you work on this engine for a while, its really no harder than say a 292 - in some areas its easier - no pressed on cam gears to deal with.

It is different - yes but so was the change over from flathead to OHV engines.

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/23/13 04:39 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
L
Contributor
Contributor
L
 Originally Posted By: MIGHTY6
If GM would have put this motor in the gen5 camaro we would not even be talking about this. The v6 in the new camaro has an aftermarket following. As most due when targeting young buyers.

Yep, a few missed opportunities. There was talk of it going into the prior fullsize trucks.

I believe that the Gen5 camaro was designed to accept this engine. There is a quote somewhere, where they talked about extending the engine bay 3" to accomodate all engines in the GM lineup. The bay already fit a SBC, what's 3" longer than that?

I met Ken Lingenfelter at a car show a couple years back. He was asking random people (me) what they thought of his Trans Am (rebodied gen 5 camaro). I wanted to tell him to offer a base model with the 4.2 but ran out of nerve. It's the owner of Lingenfelter for crying out sideways!

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
Personally, I think the interest has peaked and is on the downhill slide.

Maybe so. The I6 is an anachronism. A few old farts in GM pulled out the old-school whoop-Ass for GMT600, and the bean counters missed it. We were lucky. It'll probably never happen again. Even BMW is going 4 banger.
That said, I'm sure the quantity in junkyards is enough to satisfy the swap market from here until eternity.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I've bought two complete cars at the insurance auctions and they are going cheap now, paid $387 and $76, first one scared me with all the wiring, boxes and connections., I sold it but I'm planning on installing this one in my 70 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 more for fuel mileage issues rather than any other reason. Using the Trailblazer trans, I've found kits to make it a passenger side drop adapt to it, and I'll have to make the motor and trans mounts, the fuel system and exhaust are pretty straight forward.
But all the adapting is probably the negative side of this engine, whereas the 194-292 I-6's parts had the interchange factor working for them and years of production equals an abundance of parts. The 4200 has just a few years of production in comparison so the supply will dissapear long before the 194-292's, and then the metric factor means new tools.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
I did a little research and it seem as though there were 1,546,769 Trailblazers built by GM. Of course they made 5.3 and 6.0 models, but I'm sure the lions share were I6. Of course that's not counting the GMC, Olds, Buick, Isuzu, and Saab variations either.

It looks as though we'll have plenty to choose from for years to come.

As far as metric tools go, I can't honestly fathom anybody in this day and age not having any. The Ford Tempos and Chrysler K cars I learned to drive in, back in the 80's were about 1/2 metric then.

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
then the metric factor means new tools.

Well all you really need are 8,10,13,15 mm 3/8 drive (shallow and deep), 18 & 27mm deep 1/2" drive sockets and the same in combo wrenches.. nothing a $50 bill at Sears won't take care of with change to get lunch.. so its not a huge outlay.. 90% of all the bolts on the engine are 10, 13 or 15mm head size. Unless your rebuilding one the 18 and 27 mm can be left off.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

As far as metric tools go, I can't honestly fathom anybody in this day and age not having any. The Ford Tempos and Chrysler K cars I learned to drive in, back in the 80's were about 1/2 metric then.

The criteria for vehicles for me, cars, trucks, bikes is they had to have non metric nuts and bolts so the early 70's was my cut off point. \:\/

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If I had needed metric before I needed Wentworth I could have skipped a step. Actually there are only a couple of Wentworths you need they are the first two you lose.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Contributor
Contributor
L
Autoroc took the I6 camaro to the track yesterday. Best time of 12.3!

Denny turbo iroc - YouTube

He thinks 11s are in order once he gets it to hook.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available