Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I am planning on building a 261 and hop it up some.I am set on using an Edmunds 2x2 intake w/3 bolt Strombergs or Holleys.I like the intake because of the looks and because it is unique but I want it to run right also.I have seen them on stock 235`s and 261`s but the owners said they ran like crap.To much carburation?What carbs would you suggest,94`s or 98`s?What about cam?Bore?Compression?I will also be using a hollywood deep tone dual exhaust manifold.Looking for specifics so I can go to a machine/engine shop have them build it.Thanks in advance.

Contributor
Contributor
Two Stromberg 97s on a 261 should not be too much carburation. Back in the late fifties-early sixties, I had three 97s on a 261 using a Harper "Stubby" manifold, with no heat, and a Corvette Six exhaust manifold. It ran fine on the street except when the engine was cold and the outside temperature was well below 20F. Most winters I would put the stock manifold back on during the real cold months, especially when I was driving to school every day. I had two different 261 setups - one in a 51 Chevy and one in a 53. I used an Isenderian E-2 cam in one and a McGurk #82 in the other.

Hoyt, Inliner #922
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Is the harper stubby the intake that is 3 indvidual pieces with only the linkage conecting them?Do you think I can build a stock 261 and bolt the intake on?

Contributor
Contributor
Ratatatat,

The Harper Stubby consisted of three cast aluminum "runners" that connected each carburetor to one of the three intake ports on the head. There was a 1/2" tube that connected each pair of "stubbies", as an attempt to balance the pressure in the intake system. I always intended, but never got around to it, to see what would happen if the balance tubes were removed and plugged. Has anyone out there ever done that?

The Harper Subbies were a nice system; they really lloked nice. I bought the set from J. C. Whitney in 1958 for $32.00 . I sold them with my 51 Chevy and a burned-out 261 in 1966 far far too little.

Hoyt, II # 922

Hoyt, Inliner #922
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Rat;

Two 2's will be fine stock or 'slightly built'.

In the 50s many would buy an extra head (rework it) and install with 2 carb & headers.

This method is not too expensive & works well as you can drive your car while getting all the parts etc.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Ray Goulart did something similar to the old Stubby set up. Check Rod and Custom issue around August or Sept of 90 or 91 or 92. They did a feature on his "homebuilt" 34 Ford 4 door with a 270 in it. The detail will pop your eyes out. He cast his own 3 piece intake for the 270 to use the Holley-Weber 2 bbl. He said it works and drives fine. It will take a little research to find the article but it is worth the time to check the car out.

Tom
I.I. #1475
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I believe Clifford sells a manifold that is quite similar to what you are talking about. No heat and they state "for racing only". It will use the H/W 2bbl carbs too.

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 229 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available