Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
stan z. Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Hey guys, I've been sniffing around books and websites trying to learn all I can about my 250 cam and crank gears. I see that there are aluminium, steel, and fiber gears available.

My question, what is the preferred combination for a hoped up street motor. I am assuming aluminium cam gear and steel crank, but Cloyes says their unit is somewhat noisy. However comp cams say their fiber gear is silent but, Santucci's book sez never to use them. I was hoping I could gather some opinions and insight on this from you guys.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
What you read is correct I would say. Noisey versus less so and strong versus weaker. And your assumption is correct,especcially in a performance engine.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Steel or aluminum are the only ones to choose, fiber gears will break quickly if used with much higher than stock valve spring pressures or valve lifts. They come from the factory with metal to metal gears and their not to noisy.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: stan z.
Hey guys, I've been sniffing around books and websites trying to learn all I can about my 250 cam and crank gears. I see that there are aluminium, steel, and fiber gears available.

My question, what is the preferred combination for a hoped up street motor. I am assuming aluminium cam gear and steel crank, but Cloyes says their unit is somewhat noisy. However comp cams say their fiber gear is silent but, Santucci's book sez never to use them. I was hoping I could gather some opinions and insight on this from you guys.

I have been running Cloyes Gears for many many yrs. And never once have i had a nosiy set.I even have a steel set. That i got from cloyes back in the mid. 80's Which I said if i ever broke another Alum/steel set again I'd install the steel on steel set. Which i have never had to do.So that is why i still have them.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I agree w/ Leo and twisted. I use Cloyes on street and strip. I like the triple keyways that allow you to advance the cam.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available