Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43661 09/18/08 04:05 AM
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I know its possible to get this lumps somewhere, and theese are bolted, BUT, would it be possible to make own lump porting by using ceramic steele? Or, would it break loose?
By using ceramic steele, it would be easy to make ultimate shapes of ports.

"if your car needs more than 2 hubcaps, it ainīt COOL"
leaded #43673 09/18/08 05:29 PM
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry, its probably possible, but the variables and durability sounds too limited.
I wouldn't do it, but then again I don't build race engines for a living either.

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
225 /6 w 5speed
Freds Garage #43687 09/18/08 09:42 PM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
There are epoxies out there that will perform & hold up pretty good for filling in ports & recontouring.
NOT FOR EXHAUST PORTS

Stuff like JB Weld (NOT JB QUICK) works pretty good,but, it does start to come loose in pieces after a while & you will need to reapply over again.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
you can buy the lumps from our very own twisted6 from on this board. give him a pm and he can send them to you. they are the nicest ones you will find. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
MBHD Hank,
I did 3 types of intake upper lumps already based on the clay model you posted pictures here in another topic. I am doing 3 different types more. Then we will try them soon on the flowbench to see who has the best design. I am doing more than one of each type so we will be able to modify it and feel the differences. They are all based on Hank's clay model with little changes.
When I got the best one I will retribute Hank's help and will post the pictures of the designs tested here into the Chevy 250 siamesed iron port.
But... I am thinking about trying also the exhaust lump porting. I read in the Leo Santucci's book that he didn't know about bolt-in lumps for the exhaust ports. I also can't understand the small b&w pictures to see what is the right shape/design of the exhaust lump port. May you or somebody help me?
I suppose the shape should be achieved by adding some welded material there down in the port. But I am interested on doing a bolt-in lump for exhaust port. Does someone did that already or tried to?
Thanks a lot!

Inline power!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If you try to do a bolt-in lump on the exhaust, You will HIT WATER.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Twisted6 #43730 09/20/08 12:52 AM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Chevy 250 Opala,
I am glad you are trying the upper lumps.
I hope it turns out good for you.
Also, just remember, even if you do not see a huge gain on the flow bench does not mean your engine will not be much difference performance wise.
I saw a gain in CFM on the flow bench machine but I think I felt the gain more by actually installing them in my Camaro & driving it.

For the exhaust port,,, I believe you just add material to the floor of the port,(the short turn radius)

You would need to heat up the cylinder head to a certain temperature somewhere between 200 & 300 degrees, & I think even higher than 300 degrees???? (don't quote me on the temps)ask people who do that type of brazing. then apply brazing rod material & slowly bring down the cylinder head temperature,,the heads have a tendancy to crack though. Not so much when you are using a new casting.

The exhaust port does not flow that bad as compared to the intake.
So basically try to do most of your improvements on your intake side, that is where you are going to make more power.

Not saying don't try & improve the exhaust port flow,just your gains will be more pronounced with your intake improvements.

Goodluck!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Contributor
Contributor
Sissell's highest level of stock head prep has lump ports on the exhaust has well. They are welded in.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
There are epoxies out there that will perform & hold up pretty good for filling in ports & recontouring.
NOT FOR EXHAUST PORTS

Stuff like JB Weld (NOT JB QUICK) works pretty good,but, it does start to come loose in pieces after a while & you will need to reapply over again.

MBHD

Depends how funny it would be When JB weld gets into the head/cylinders......not the smartest!
I reconsider!

leaded #43770 09/21/08 01:52 PM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
quote] from leaded "

Depends how funny it would be When JB weld gets into the head/cylinders......not the smartest!
I reconsider! [/quote]

I would say you have not tried it w/that response.

That is just one example that works, there are other epoxy's out there ,but like JB weld,eventually you will need to patch it up from time to time.

Mike Kirby has used it w/sucess & so has my friend cylinder head shop.
We are talking about people that pull there heads off to freshen there heads up from time to tme.

Not usually used for a daily driver that will go for 100,000 miles & never look @ anything.

Guys that run in Super stock class.
They allow porting ,recontouring,but,,, the heads cannot be any larger cc's than a stcock head.

You should see these heads in person,they are completely filled w/epoxy & does not even come close to looking like a stock port.

BTW, some use ( JB WELD )

I have used JB WELD also when I was road racing a motorcycle & won the championship w/a two-stroke engine that gets saturated w/oil (the premix)
I used it on the reed cage & used it in the transfer ports.
Some came loose over time,never siezed it (& this this a two stroke were talking here)some meaning minischule pieces ,& all I did when it started to come loose was reapply it.
ALSO a final note:
This is what JB WELD did for me!!!

12 port SDS EFI
leaded Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
quote] from leaded "

I reconsider!

I would say you have not tried it w/that response.

That is just one example that works, inischule pieces ,& all I did when it started to come loose was reapply it.
ALSO a final note:
This is what JB WELD did for me!!!

[/quote]

Great to know! I dont have experience with theese stuffs, but i reconsider the belive in theese! Anyway, Gratulate Champ!

Last edited by leaded; 09/21/08 04:52 PM.

Contributor
Contributor
So now your are "Sponsored" by J.B. Weld? ha ha . Well hey I shouldn't laugh if it worked right?

james

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
225 /6 w 5speed
Freds Garage #44061 10/03/08 04:08 PM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Not sponsored,just making a point.

I had also used a product called "Devcon".
We use it as a structural epoxy for airplanes.
They make so you can apply it to titanium,aluminum ect.

It is a bit pricey but that works well also for intake port recontouring.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not sponsored,just making a point.

I has also used a product called "Devcon".
We use it as a structural epoxy for airplanes.
They make so you can apply it to titanium,aluminum ect.

It is a bit pricey but that works well also for intake port recontouring.

MBHD
Devcon is excellent for filling in port floors of intakes and intake runners! I think you mentioned earlier also about "sticking" mig wire or aluminum tig filler if its aluminum, once that is done, Devcon or JB weld aint going nowhere! I strongly endorse it....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
K
Contributor
Contributor
K
Home Depot used to carry Devcon. 6 Bucks for about a pint. Really great deal. They don't carry it anymore ...must have been too good a deal. I used a lot of it gluing hammer handles in metal shaping hammers I sell.

Kerry Pinkerton
http://wheelingmachines.com
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Kerry Pinkerton
Home Depot used to carry Devcon. 6 Bucks for about a pint. Really great deal. They don't carry it anymore ...must have been too good a deal. I used a lot of it gluing hammer handles in metal shaping hammers I sell.

The Devcon I am taking about is about $40.00 for approx 10 ounces.
They had some for aluminum, titanium etc,depends on what type of metal you are going to attach the Devcon to.
I have used it several times on aircraft,such as door frames to get the cabin to seal better & pressurize.

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01, GH60
6,777 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available