Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#59047 07/12/10 05:07 AM
56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have a "hi-perf" HEI dist I got off ebay with the high rpm module and hotter coil. However, I am using a remote coil adaptor to use my mallory coil and ignition box. Here's the question: Do I even need the hi-perf module or would I be better off to swap in a stock (reliable) module from one of my spare dist's? My parts pickup needs a ignition tuneup and I'm definitely swapping in the hi voltage coil and am considering stealing the module as well, especially if it won't make any difference in the 292 due to the spark box controlling things. I guess I don't know exactly how this all works together and was looking for some education. Thanks!

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
56er #59055 07/12/10 09:53 PM
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Rick,
What kind of "ignition/spark box" are you using? Something like an MSD6? You can remove the HEI module & coil, and trigger the "ignition/spark box" with the pickup coil in the HEI. Take a picture or describe exactly what you have.

Ron

56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have a Mallory Hyfire 6 part no. 685. My brother gave it to me, and I'm kind of partial to mallory stuff. My distributor is just an HEI, only new from a chinese outfit off of ebay (trying to pay for my connecting rods). If I could get rid of the module completely that would be awesome. I actually think there was a picture in the installation manual depicting this. I will be back with pics after I feed kids and them wrestle them off the computer. I had to throw raw meat across the house and then run to make it on here as it was. \:\)

link to dist identical to mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-INL...=item5191687061

I am looking forward to using this box because it has the boost retard, 2 step, and N20 rpm switches already built into it. You can add a timing curve computer type thing to it, and I may lock out the dist and use the programmable timing curve if I can't get it right with springs.

link to spark box:

http://www.malloryperformance.com/Produc...&minselection=1

56er #59087 07/14/10 01:21 AM
56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Okay, here are pics. Ron, if I understand what you are saying, combined with how I read the installation instructions, I just remove the module completely, hook the green and white wires to the magnetic pickup wires coming out of the mallory box, and no more HEI high-rpm fade?

56er #59090 07/14/10 06:09 PM
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Rick,

You go it. The Mallory is identical to the MSD 6. Hook the HEI white and green wire to your box and you'll be set.

Ron

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available