Rate Thread
#72123 10/17/12 12:17 PM
G
George Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
G
So, here's the deal: I drop a re-machined .030 over 292 with lump port head into my '57 GMC pickup in September, that is, after I weld in a Fatman MII front end with QA1 coilovers and install power assisted disc brakes.

The 292 has an Offenhauser 4-barrel intake topped off by a Holley 390 and underneath it is Tom Langdon's heat plate and alongside it are Tom's split exhaust headers. The 292's connected to a TH 350 and a Spicer 3.08:1 rear end.

With just about 400 miles on the engine, I take off from my home in Wisconsin in order to join up with Jerry Dixey of Street Rodder magazine and a bunch of other gear heads in Pigeon Forge, TN.

After a weekend in Pigeon Forge, we take off south for North Carolina and then during the next six days head north in zig-zag fashion, making more than a dozen other stops at various venues in five different states, ending up in Kalamazoo, MI, at the NSRA Nationals North.

Only had a few mechanical problems, including loose motor mounts and the tranny dip stick tube popping out, that I fixed on the road.

Put on nearly 3,000 miles. I suppose some folks will say that's a heck of a way to break in an engine, and I'd probably agree with them.

Two weeks later, I take the truck instead of my '74 Gremlin to Wisconsin International Raceway at Kaukauna. I win the first round with the GMC doing 16.25 at 83 mph.

And after all that, here's the deal: When I put my foot into it, the air going into the Holley must be at such a force, it actually whistles, and loud, which obviously alert local gendarmes. Is there a fix?

Number two, oil comes out of the valve cover's breather and messes up my beautiful powder coated engine. I'm thinking PVC, but is there a right place, wrong place, to install it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

George
George #72130 10/18/12 12:03 AM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Totes Fierce!
Do u know the weight of that truck? And a 60ft time to go with that 16.25 at 83? Guessing maybe 2" dual glasspacks? (I will try to set up a Gonkulator computer match!)

Well I've run a 390 Holley on my 250 & 292, no whistles yet. I've had em whistle at idle or decel, vac leak in base gasket. But at full throttle, never heard that sound. Try a different carb, does whistle go away?

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available