Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66833 10/15/11 03:54 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
i posted this on the "hi-performance" board too, but does anyone have any suggestions on HEI plug wires for 235? dont need really expesive wires, just some good wires. thanks -DVZ

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Look for a set of Accel or Mallory wires at your local parts store, you'll probably have to use a universal set as the 235 never cane with an HEI from the factory. Possibly a set from a 250 with an HEI would fit by juggling around the wires, if the parts store will take returns I might try that first.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Taylor Spiro Pro are excellent. Get a universal set and it has the plug ends already on the wires. The distrib ends are plain and the set includes terminals and boots for both a conventional point type cap and the GM HEI cap. Best part is the molded plug ends come in 90, 135, and 180 ( straight ) angles. The sets are also available in several colors. Around 50 bucks for a set. These are all 8 cylinder sets so what you do with the 2 extra is up to you. I used mine on my snowblower and lawn tractor.

Mike G #4355
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
thanks for the info guys. i have never used hei cables before, just points. on the hei universal wires, can you cut them to lenghth? -DVZ

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Yes. The wires in the sets are long enough to reach the furthest plug on a V8 engine. Typically you get 4 pairs of slightly different lengths plus a shorter wire for the coil to cap. Plenty long enough for any inline engine use. Simply cut the excess off the plain end, slide the distributer boot over it, strip back the outer cover about 1/2 inch and crimp on the metal terminal. Taylor sells a stripping and crimping tool but a single edge razor blade and a regular wire crimper will work just as well if you take it easy.

Spiro Pro wires have very little resistance compared to other resistor type wires and will not cause any RFI hum or static in electronic equip like CD players, etc. Win win as they say.

Last edited by Mike G; 10/20/11 07:00 PM.

Mike G #4355
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
thanks mike. i ordered a set of universal hei v8 plug wires. in the mail as we speak. thanks for all the help guys -DVZ

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Another vote for the Taylor wires, they work good, look good and are very durable.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 224 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available