Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

I cannot believe that has been over a year since I went heads down on the project. I expected to be on the road by now but the twists and turns of the details keep getting in the way.

I was running head long toward getting things ready for a first fire up when it dawned on me that I would want to roll as soon as it was running. So once I was done with the wiring harness swap:

I stopped working on the front clip parts and pivoted to the interior. I was surprised at how tight the quarters are behind the dash. One needs to use the service hatch and the fresh air vent to get two hands involved. It leads me to believe that the factory wiring was done on a bench before the dash was put in the car.

I used my wife’s upholstery cleaner to freshen things up as much as I could. I wanted the interior to keep that used car atmosphere:

After all a kid doing a hop up in the early fifties was hardly gonna spend money on something other than go-fast-parts/mods and instrumentation. There are some stains and rips here & there but that gives the car character. Conversely, the back seat shows little evidence of use. The springs even carry the original OEM tags:

The manufacturer was the now defunct ‘F.L. Jacobs':

The front seat on the driver side is really worn out. I added a single layer of heavy cotton between the old fabric and the foam (which is pretty tired and beginning to break down into dust at the surface). I stitched the tears closed and then covered it with a piece of folded wool tucked under the seat back – again in keeping with ‘the kid on budget theme’:

I’ve added instrumentation that I collected over the past ten years:

In spite of the apparent amount of real-estate under the dash – the space is actually quite crowded:

The area under the ignition is shrouded – making it a poor choice for a gauge. Then one runs into the emergency brake handle and then a vent pull:

So I centered the oil pressure and temperature cluster under the lighter/ash-tray/clock tower- with the vacuum gauge centered under the speaker.

The driver side of the dash is equally cluttered. The area right next the steering column is shrouded just like the ignition side – and it’s occupied by the overdrive engagement knob. Next to that is the heater/vent controls. I moved the turn signal clicker up top and out of sight. Leaving room a volt meter:

More progress posts to come.

Regards,
Stock49

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Nice car. The details take the longest it seems.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
I can't wait to see it on the road again! With about double the stock power and three extra speeds should br real fun to drive. Jay

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I really like it upholstery touch. I the 60s there were a lot of new housing tracts in our area that had huge flags of bright colors around the entrances. A couple of them ended up covering the seats in my '48 Fleetline.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Entryway windbreakers? I've seen a lot of different things used to cover worn upholstery: blankets, pup tent canvas, bay window drapes . . .

During my tear down I came across a stowaway:

I didn't think it would be a good omen to take the car back out on the road without his majesty on board. So I put him back where I found him - in the coin trap between the seats.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 321 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available