Rate Thread
M
Melon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Hi Guys,

I have a 1950 Willys pickup...When I got it running about 6 years ago, it didn't have a radio...I tried several cheap ones
and even bought a medium priced Kenwood, CD/radio for a couple
hundred...No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of static
noise on the AM band at anything over an idle... I am well into
my 60's and the small numbers on the face of the radio's didn't work for me....

My solution? I bought a brand new Ford 6/CD radio for a mid
2000's Sport Trac Ford pickup... The controls are easy to see. They light up when I turn the lights on and there is absolutely
no static.. It cost me nearly $400 but it was worth it...And,
because it holds 6 CD's at a time, I can drive 500 miles or so and not have to fiddle around changing the CD's while driving.

Originally, I was just trying to get rid of the static noise.
I was successful and as a bonus I can see the buttons an knobs
at speed while driving this bouncy old truck. Just sayin'

The new radio is on the left side of the steering wheel, right next to my cup holder...The cup holder is a very important upgrade... It got me into the modern era...

Last edited by Melon; 08/06/14 11:21 AM.
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
All the comforts of home. laugh That looks nice. I know what you mean about the tiny markings on most radios. My wife just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with lots of fancy stuff but no CD player. shocked Who woulda' thunk? crazy

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
Melon Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
My daughter informed me the other day....Music CD's are old
technology....MP3 is the way to go....Hell, I just converted
from cassettes a couple of years ago...I don't think I'll
ever be current.... Anyway, your new Jeep probably has much
newer sound tech than the creepy old CD tech my daughter
laughs at...And she's only 43...I am officially over the hill.

Melon, aka Blind as H.Melon
aka Larry D.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
I still have the 8 track I had in my '70 blazer and two tapes, Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin. I do have a bunch of music on my ipod.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
mp3/ipod is so easy to do and most modern car systems have aux. jack! i'm gonna run out of gas money before i go through 1500 titles and i only have 5 year old 8g ipod!

Contributor
Contributor
AM radio has been pretty much abandoned in the US. if you want a good AM receiver, look for receivers for eastern europe and asian markets -- lots of those places are still like the U.S. southwest from the 1940's -- large expanses of open space poorly served by big-money media conglomerates. you often get oddball (for the U.S.) shortwave thrown in for free.

modern AM radio chips use in commodity "stereos" clip bass and highs to get speech-tolerable loud sound and lowest possible cost. in the 50's and 60's there was at least some concern for audio fidelity but that's been abandoned now in AM.

a highlight of my southwest desert trips in my '63 rambler classic wagon was listening to KTNN am radio. one of the few "clear channel" stations (so designated in the cold war CONELRAD days, remember those? :-) you get great hopi and navajo music, OLD country and western, and "mary in whiterock has a washing machine for sale" radio ads... ahhh radio culture!

i just built another whack-job rambler that i intend to do long road trips in, starting mid Nov. though as a roadster there will not be much radio listening done, sadly.

Contributor
Contributor
Originally Posted By: Melon
1950 Willys pickup

damn, that's a nice cabin!

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Several years ago on a deer hunting trip all by myself in north central Nevada I was sleeping in the cab of my pickup and before I dozed off I was listening to a high school football game on a Navajo station out of New Mexico. All the commentary was in Navajo but all the football terms were in English. I could tell exactly what was going on in the game but I didn't know who was winning or who was on which team. Or even who the teams were. Thats about all I care about football anyway.Funny how AM bounces around and how clear it can be from a great distance. I was wondering if the local Paiutes were listening and if they understood more than I did. laugh

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (stock49, Beater of the Pack), 35 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Skulptorchaz, Ryan Clark, chevy454, TCH54, beansprout01
6,778 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available