Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
mick53 Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
If I decide to widen the rear fenders on my 53 chevy pickup 2" or so to run 10" wheels where should I put the extra metal. I have a couple of extra sets of fender for doner if needed.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Probably be best to add material as near to the inside edge as possible. That's the place where the fender is already the most ridged and where the existing metal is easiest to split and form.

Last edited by Blackwater; 04/28/18 06:19 PM.

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I agree with Blackwater. You have a straight edge there and they are flatter close to the bed.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
mick53 Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
Maybe run the plasma cutter right along the flange? Then cut inside 2" strip out of doner fenders? I may have to send this out but what the heck might as well give it a try. I have extra fenders. I would feel pretty cool if I pulled it off. running boards would have to be cut to match but they would be smaller?

Last edited by mick53; 04/29/18 01:18 AM.
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I believe I'd use a jigsaw rather than plasma cutter. You will then have a clean, finished edge that you can weld much easier!! Grafting pieces from a second set of fenders would be simpler, and cut with a jigsaw, you won't have to worry about heat warping anything before it is welded.

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

There's a thread on this topic over at 67-72chevytrucks.

Seems that for this era truck - cutting near the flange is the way to go. Based on photos the tricky bit will be blending those rounded transitions off flange at the bottom of the fender - especially the back:

regards,
stock49

M
mick53 Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
WOW what great information. Now you got me going. So if I use my little pneumatic body saw and use the flange for a guide that puts me about 3/4" out from flange. If I make the same cut on the doner fender and them whatever works out to two inches make another cut out to whatever is 2 inches then the inside edge should line up? The outside edge radius would be wrong? Should that be sliced or something so they mate up? Can that be done on a planishing hammer? I'm not sure what they do but I'm sure I need one. I think 2" would look pretty cool. I'm just trying to get this to hook-up. I'll be running a blown 292.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hi mick53 . . .

First things first - make no mistake I am no body-man sheet-metal guy. My fab skills are minimal.

That said - from what is available online and what I have seen in articles the guys who have done this don't use a donor fender. They simply cut a straight line (square to the flange) and then weld in a strip of flat stock (of the desired width) to rejoin the halves.

This approach keeps the basic shape of the fender while widening what is characterized as the flattest part of the contour.

If you have never done it before I would find a sheet metal guy who has.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
How about duplicate only the flange, twice, and add the strip between the 2, then insert it between the fender and the body?
That way you always have the original fender.
Once you have the flange pattern, you could probably donate or sell it, makes it easier to do the work without taking the fender off first.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: stock49
Hi mick53 . . .

First things first - make no mistake I am no body-man sheet-metal guy. My fab skills are minimal.

That said - from what is available online and what I have seen in articles the guys who have done this don't use a donor fender. They simply cut a straight line (square to the flange) and then weld in a strip of flat stock (of the desired width) to rejoin the halves.

This approach keeps the basic shape of the fender while widening what is characterized as the flattest part of the contour.

If you have never done it before I would find a sheet metal guy who has.

That is the best method. I have widened fenders of this era. The only thing I would add is once you have the 2" strip cut and rough formed to shape I would run it through an English wheel to give it a modicum of crown for both strength and looks and to minimize the amount of filler needed. Start the tack welds on top near the center and work your way toward each end. I'd build a plywood buck to hold the flange straight - it will save you grief down the road getting them straight and flat again

M
mick53 Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
I think I will send them out. I have all new body parts except the cab and inner fender wells. They will need to be perfect inside and out. I'll buy new ones to send them out. The scary part is finding a good fab shop that can do it. It would be worth a grand to me. Do you think that would do it? I guess I thought it would be fun to do but it's beyond my skill level. Mans got to know his limitations. Thank you for all the advice. Any recommendations on a fab shop?

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 289 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available