Inliners International
Posted By: Augusto Help with Harmonic Balancer... - 08/31/15 06:06 PM
Hi,

Im having some trouble with Harmonic Balancer...
I bought a Fluidampr (http://www.fluidampr.com/product/670100/) but when arrived my mechanic told that couldn't use because there wasn't place for the pulley...

I would like to know how to adapt or solve this problem once the part is made to my engine ( Chevy 250 6 in line) at least in the site is related that engine.

Thanks, hoping that somebody can help...
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: Help with Harmonic Balancer... - 08/31/15 06:26 PM
Since that balancer isn't made specifically for the 6 cylinder engines, you have to use pulleys for the Small Block Chevy engine it is designed for that bolt to the front side of the balancer. You may also have to either trim some material off of the backside of the snout to help align with the water pump pulley and/or use spacers to line them up.
Posted By: Augusto Re: Help with Harmonic Balancer... - 09/02/15 03:09 PM
Pretty simple and obvious =P... Although here in Brazil is not commom the V8 SBC so there is a lack of knowledge in adapting V8 parts in the inline 6...

Thanks so much...
Posted By: strokersix Re: Help with Harmonic Balancer... - 09/02/15 04:20 PM
Consider counterboring the crank timing gear instead of shortening the damper hub to fit a v8 damper.

I modified my damper and it has been fine but next time I will modify the gear instead. I think the forces generated damping torsional harmonics exceed camshaft driving forces. Plus the gear is trapped and not going anywhere. Use a retaining bolt on the damper!
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: Help with Harmonic Balancer... - 09/04/15 05:17 PM
As mentioned, there are several ways to get where you need to be, but they all require some form of modification or machining to the parts you have.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board