Inliners International
Posted By: El Viejo CAM Bearing remove and install - 09/16/15 03:25 PM
Hi,
I am getting a 1979, 250 block ready to send out for machine work and would like to know if you can tell me how to remove the cam bearings, as well as install new bearings when the block is ready. Thank you.
Regards,
Ken
I have always had cam bearings removed and replaced at the machine shop. They have the tools and if they screw it up it's on them. shocked
Posted By: El Viejo Re: CAM Bearing remove and install - 09/16/15 04:32 PM
Duly noted. Thank you.
Ken
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: CAM Bearing remove and install - 09/16/15 05:17 PM
The tools are fairly inexpensive and its relatively easy to do. I've installed them in hundreds of engines of all types, but there is a pretty frequent need to adjust, polish and tweak a set once you install them from time to time, and unless you have a good feel for how they are supposed to fit both in the block and test fitting the cam into them, you may overlook something that could become a problem once the engine is together and running. Like Beater said, just let the machine shop assume that liability if you don't have the tools yourself or if you've never done it before.
Posted By: El Viejo Re: CAM Bearing remove and install - 09/16/15 06:25 PM
CNC Dude,
I believe Beater's and your advice is sound. Machine shop it is. However, the next time I head out to Georgia, I am packing a 250 block for you to show me how it's done.

Ken
Stop by here and pick up one of my four cylinder blocks. It's the same process and a lot less block to haul across the country. I was almost in Oakland Monday.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: CAM Bearing remove and install - 09/16/15 08:48 PM
Sure Ken, anytime!
© Inliners International Bulletin Board