Inliners International
Posted By: fleetliner aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/17/16 04:43 AM
I'm installing a 261 engine in my 1950 chevy car. (short water pump), original radiator. Is there a good fan choice to replace the stock 261 truck fan(4 blades)?
Posted By: wolffcub Re: aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/17/16 11:31 AM
I have been using the narrow flex fan. No issues yet.

http://www.code510.com/media/catalog/pro...ation-86200.jpg
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/18/16 08:59 AM
I answered in the wrong post. My preference is for electric fans. If you save 5 HP on a 100 HP engine. Huge savings!
Posted By: gbauer Re: aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/18/16 11:51 PM
I agree on electric. Take a bit off the engine load and a lot off the noise load.

..I didn't notice a lot of extra power wen I did mine, though... but it sure quieted the car, it warms up faster, and I'm not scared of cutting off my fingers anymore.
Posted By: gbauer Re: aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/18/16 11:52 PM
I agree on electric. Take a bit off the engine load and a lot off the noise load.

..I didn't notice a lot of extra power wen I did mine, though... but it sure quieted the car, it warms up faster, and I'm not scared of cutting off my fingers anymore.

Here's something surprising for you: I got my fan at Autozone and it's been great. Picked up the thermostat anD switch at NAPA. You can get both for under $100 and do it this weekend.
Posted By: Lifeguard Re: aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/19/16 07:15 PM
I have dual small electric fans on the stock size radiator on my '78 Camaro. Not enough clearance with the water pump to put a large fan in behind. Sure reduced under hood noise (after replacing alternator and water pump). Bumped up fuel economy noticeably over stock fan.

The other option is the later 250/292 three-blade clutch fan, if that fits the 261 water pump.
Posted By: mshaw230 Re: aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/19/16 11:43 PM
Here are the p/n's of my whole setup. I haven't installed the electric fan yet, so we'll see how it goes.

Be-Cool
· 12009 Radiator
· 75014 Electric Fan
· 72231 Fan Brackets
· 75021 Wiring Harness
· 70003 Recovery Tank
· 70001 Billet Radiator Cap
Posted By: TJ's Chevy Re: aftermarket fan recommendation - 02/20/16 02:38 AM
Also agreeing with the electric fan. Cheap way to add a bit of power and increase mileage. Also helps to warm the engine up faster. And even helps keeping it cooler...especially on a hot day idling around town.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board