Inliners International
Posted By: ACH57 Coolant leak on front of engine near manifold - 10/14/16 11:23 AM
I've got a small coolant leak up high on the front of the engine-not running. It's dripping down and coming off the alternator bracket. I've been looking for information on what manifold or head bolts need to have sealer and can't find any. I know the front manifold bolt hole goes into the adjacent head bolt hole so I put sealer on that. Does that head bolt need sealer too? Any others?

I guess it could be a head gasket but it's on a fresh rebuild with zero miles and all new gaskets and brass freeze plugs. The engine builder is coming over tonight to help me start it for the first time so I want to make sure it's ready. Thanks
Could be at the water pump and traveling down there. I didn't use sealant on the manifold bolts.

Other thing it might be is the water temp sensor port located between cylinders 2 and 3 (if I recall) above the intake/exhaust manifold.
Not sure which engine you have. The 250 and 292 need sealant on all the head bolts. I like to use Ultra Black RTV on those.
It's a 250. I got it sealed up with a little ultra black on a manifold bolt. The engine fired up on the first revolution of the starter.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board