Inliners International
Posted By: GMJager Water pump pulley alignment issues - 04/30/20 02:30 PM
Background: Chevy 292 (1966). Original water neck broke so I lost the bypass from the pump to the neck/housing. I replaced the original water pump with one from a later model 292 (1976 i think?) to completely eliminate that bypass hose. Now however, the water pump pulley is no where near lining up with the harmonic balance/alternator pulleys (sits too far in/shaft is too short). Is there a known replacement pulley that would line things up at the water pump?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Water pump pulley alignment issues - 04/30/20 07:26 PM
If it is not that far off you can move the pully mount forward.
They are pressed on the shaft.
Posted By: GMJager Re: Water pump pulley alignment issues - 04/30/20 09:29 PM
It’s probably off by nearly a half an inch
Posted By: mick53 Re: Water pump pulley alignment issues - 05/01/20 01:05 AM
They make spacers in different thicknesses. I think you can stack them up and get longer bolts. They also make pulleys in a multitude of offsets. between the 2 you should be able to make something work. You could also have someone spin you one out with a nipple and a recess on it.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Water pump pulley alignment issues - 05/01/20 12:16 PM
You can use a spacer as mick53 suggested or you can press the shaft back through the mounting flange carefully. Either is perfectly acceptable. If you press the shaft, make sure there is enough shaft sticking out to center the pulley and fan!!
© Inliners International Bulletin Board