Inliners International
Posted By: Torqued Ellis Intake - 02/08/21 12:44 AM
Have a 302 with an Ellis 2x1 intake and Nicson headers. Has anyone had experience with a warming kit for the Ellis intake?
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Ellis Intake - 02/09/21 11:58 PM
I have an Ellis for a 270 I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see how it compares to some others. I have an Edmunds that has a tube for hot water running through it.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Ellis Intake - 02/10/21 04:43 PM
Thanks for the reply
Posted By: stock49 Re: Ellis Intake - 02/10/21 10:46 PM
I have only seen photographs of the Ellis pieces. This two jugger appears to have a water jacket with pipe-threaded inlet/outlet:

Posted By: Torqued Re: Ellis Intake - 02/11/21 02:17 PM
Thanks so much for the pics and information. Everyone has been very helpful
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Ellis Intake - 02/11/21 07:33 PM
OK, Just had some time to get into the GMC intake stash. One is the same as the one pictured above. The two holes on top and the one center front are for vacuum. I have one for a bigger GMC(361,426,451,475) that is the same just huge. I have an Edmunds that has a 1/2" tube running length wise on the outer edge and is part of the casting. The Nicson & McGurk are exhaust heated like stock. Evidently Ellis used no heat. I have one for an International (k8,K10) with no heat and a 4 cylinder Ellis with no heat.

So, How to heat the one you are using. My 1st choice would be to drill holes in the flat ends and run a 1/2" tube through the log. It would take an aluminum tube and a TIG, maybe JB Weld. The more contact you can get with the manifold the more heat transfer you will get. 2nd choice might work better, run a 1/2" tube flush along the back side of the log between the intake on the engine side. This could be held with clamps that screw into the manifold. They may go through and have to be sealed. You will need to be sure that the water at one end has more pressure than the other so it will be constantly flowing, one end above the thermostat. Sorry no pictures.

Posted By: Torqued Re: Ellis Intake - 02/13/21 11:13 AM
Thanks so much for the reply. Very helpful!!
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Ellis Intake - 02/15/21 09:32 PM
Glad to help. Let us know how it comes out.
Posted By: Blackwater Re: Ellis Intake - 02/18/21 09:07 PM
I have a friend who's looking for a 235/261 Clifford 4bbl intake for a project. He's not a computer user and asked another of my friends to put the word out!!

If you have one and would like to part with it, please contact Mike Ready at 360-263-3012.. He will forward information on to the buyer, John Hayes.

Mention my name when and if you do!!
© Inliners International Bulletin Board