Inliners International
Posted By: tom c Engine update for '34 Chevy car - 07/12/21 01:18 PM
I have swapped later 235s and 261s into '37-'48 Chevys before. Now I have the chance to get a '34 sedan without engine or trans and would like to install a '54 model 235. The original radiator is included with the '34. Anybody got advice or tips? Thanks.
I'm not familiar with '34s. I think that would have had the 194 if is Standard or a 207 if it's a Master Deluxe. I don't how those first generation Chevy sixes compare in length to the 216. A 235 will fit length wise where a 216 came stock with a short version of the water pump. Otherwise the radiator has to move forward about 1 1/2". Many later Chevrolet standard transmissions will bolt to the 235 bell housing. I think this will male a fun driver.
Posted By: stock49 Re: Engine update for '34 Chevy car - 07/13/21 11:37 AM
Hi Tom . . .

There are some things working in your favor with this swap. In the book Cast Iron Wonder (Floyd Clymer & Doug Bell) document that the then new 216 engine was 2" shorter then the previous generation sixes. Also, the front engine mounting arrangement was similar via a plate (Parts Master Group 0.004):
Old Car Manual Project - Master Parts Catalog page 94 .

The plates from the 216 have been used to transplant the newer 235 and 261s.

With a shorter engine the transmission mounts will need to be reworked. What gearbox/tranny do you have in mind?
I've got that book. obviously I need to read it. smile
© Inliners International Bulletin Board