Inliners International
Posted By: tom c Frame swap questions - 11/12/22 03:35 AM
I have a '50 Chevrolet four door that was my late grandfather's. It has a '54 model 235 engine. The body is beyond repair. I have found , locally, a '52 Chevrolet coupe,(Bel air hardtop body with no frame. I'm wondering if the hardtop body will fit on the four door frame? Anybody done it? Thanks.
Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585 Re: Frame swap questions - 11/12/22 06:33 PM
A quick measurement of the wheelbase on both frames may tell you if that is a viable option. If there is more than a couple of inches difference between them I'd probably say no....
Posted By: tom c Re: Frame swap questions - 11/12/22 11:10 PM
I know the wheelbase is the same on all Chevrolet cars 1949-1952, but I wondered if there might be other factors involved, especially since one, the '50, is a four door sedan and the other, the '52 is a Bel Air hardtop.
Posted By: Scott Danforth Re: Frame swap questions - 01/31/23 03:27 AM
Have you looked up the frame dimensions? http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/
Posted By: Beater of the Pack Re: Frame swap questions - 01/31/23 08:43 PM
It should be the same. I think the convertible may have had a beefier frame and not sure about the hard top. The link Scott posted may give the answer.
Posted By: panic Re: Frame swap questions - 01/31/23 10:22 PM
In later years, Chrysler (and I'm sure others) added new structure to any non-post chassis (2 & 4 door hard top, convertible). Typically they would reinforce the spring attachment points, and perhaps a frame connector at the rocker boxes.
You'd have to examine a drawing or excellent photo of the bottom of a coupe to tell if any of this is present, and how to add to your frame without disturbing original condition & appearance.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board