Inliners International
Posted By: Juan 250 no oil on rocker gear - 07/27/23 10:25 AM
I have a 250 which is out of a Nova which I am in the process of firing up. I bought the motor a while ago, and have just got it running, but noticed there is no oil coming out of the pushrods and dribbling down to the valve end of the rockers. I am pretty sure there should be oil visible here, while it is running. I have good oil pressure, but I am not sure about how much oil I have in the sump. I have just been caught out with a 235 which had the wrong dipstick in there, and I ended up draining the oil, and putting in the right amount according to the book. I now suspect a similar problem, but I just need to know the length of the correct dipstick. The dipstick is located just below the oil pressure switch port on the RHS of the motor. I have a 194 which I thought was the same, but that has the dipstick higher up and mounted next to the distributor.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: 250 no oil on rocker gear - 07/28/23 03:02 AM
I would start by draining the oil and change the filter. Put in 5 fresh Quarts of oil with a full size oil filter. Dipsticks are available to buy on my website.
You have to get oil to travel to the top end.

A side question- Why do you have a SBC V8 firing order in your signature?
Posted By: Juan Re: 250 no oil on rocker gear - 09/14/23 12:47 PM
I was about to drain the sump and add the right amount of oil, when I thought I would fire it up again just in case it would suddenly start squirting oil at the top- and it did! I normally remove the distributor and drive the oil pump with a drill to get oil up to the top, I didn't do it this time, maybe the pump needed a little help to get primed.
As for the signature, I couldn't think of anything else to put there. I have been playing with sbc's for about 40 years now, but only recently came across 250's (They are rare here in Australia).
Posted By: Hotrod Lincoln Re: 250 no oil on rocker gear - 10/09/23 12:21 AM
230 and 250 engines run the same engine block and bore size- - - -the only difference is the crankshaft stroke. Flat top pistons for a Chevy 307 V8 are a direct swap for 250 pistons- - - -the only difference is that the V8 piston is a flat top. It gains about 1/2 a compression ratio over the 250 dish top piston, and there are both hypereutectic cast pistons and forged 307 pistons available without ordering expensive custom made ones. Good luck!
Jerry
© Inliners International Bulletin Board