Inliners International
Posted By: JeepDude Correct Spark Plug Gap on '75 with HEI?? - 06/29/05 06:21 PM
I recently put a new 1969 250 in my Jeep. It's an older model than the 250 I had in it before which was from a 1975 Nova. The older engine had a points type distributor. I took the HEI distributor and coil off the 75 engine and put it on the 69 engine. I cranks 1st turn and runs fairly smooth. Except for a stumble acceleration which seems like it probably is a heat problem from what I read in the TECH TIPS :WHY YOU NEED HEAT TO YOUR INLET MANIFOLD - by Tom Langdon

Question is: What is the correct plug gap for the HEI, I know it should probably be more than the .035 that the original point type ignition was for the 69. Is .045 or .060 about right?

Also, what would be the most inexpensive way to solve the problem I have with heating the intake (assuming that's my problem)

Sorry this post got so long. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Nic
.045 Is the Best Place to start and Probably no reason to go wider.
#3220 }[oooooo]
Thanks Twisted. I'll be checkin that when I get home.
I use .045 on my truck. It is a 350 but still the same distributor
Posted By: HiTork Re: Correct Spark Plug Gap on '75 with HEI?? - 06/30/05 12:53 AM
Heat to intake is only a factor if you are using some sort of headers that do not contact the intake. Stock manifolds bolted together giving the needed heat to the intake.
Walt,
I am using the stock intake, with long dual 3-into-one headers.
-Nic
Full description of my exhaust is here .
Would this work and how much time/exeperience does it take to put on? Intake manifold heat plate

Thanks for your help. Also, do you think that the lack in a heat source on the intake is my throttle problem?
© Inliners International Bulletin Board