Inliners International
Posted By: DON WADE CARBURETOR ORIENTATION - 09/16/05 12:27 PM
I AM GOING TO USE A SINGLE 4 CARB ON MY 292, USING OFFY MAINFOLD. I'VE HAD THREE DIFFERENT RECOMENDATIONS AS TO WHICH WAY TO MOUNT IT. PRIMARIES TO ENGINE OR PRIMARIES AWAY FROM ENGINE.
(THIRD RECOMENDATION WAS USE A SB AS CARB WILL BE SIDEWAYS ANYWAY!)ANY IDEAS OTHER THAN CHANGING TO A BENT 8 (WHICH IS WHERE I WAS)
THANKS
DON (II#306)
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: CARBURETOR ORIENTATION - 09/16/05 04:45 PM
Dear Don;

I know It's an Ofy. but check with Clifford Engineering as they have done extensive flow tests on that.

I would think the primaries should be toward engine, but that's a guess.

Good luck. \:\)
Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER Re: CARBURETOR ORIENTATION - 09/16/05 08:32 PM
Unless it is a split intake place the primaries up front and secondaries in the rear as in a v8. If it is a split plane (DP) put the primaries near the head.
Posted By: LeeLites Re: CARBURETOR ORIENTATION - 09/16/05 11:02 PM
hello....on a Chevy Inline 6-with siamese intake ports that are of unequal length- having the primaries away from head -on outer edge-is more desired for Performance....By having primaries farther from head their is more time for air and fuel to mix-this is particularly best for best results on cylinders 3 and 4....
but again, who do you believe?

Lee
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: CARBURETOR ORIENTATION - 09/16/05 11:15 PM
Steve with the "Mighty 6" will tell us shortly.
Posted By: LeeLites Re: CARBURETOR ORIENTATION - 09/16/05 11:23 PM
not sure what you mean John merdith...the question was refering to what orientation you use a 4 barrel carb to an offy intake..again I will say same thing...
on a Chevy Inline 6-with siamese intake ports that are of unequal length- having the primaries away from head -on outer edge-is more desired for Performance....By having primaries farther from head their is more time for air and fuel to mix-this is particularly best for best results on cylinders 3 and 4....
but again, who do you believe?

again...
Lee
Posted By: '68OrangeSunshine Re: CARBURETOR ORIENTATION - 09/21/05 04:18 AM
Primaries outboard. Works for me on a 292 w/ Offy intake. I've used both Holley 390 and Edelbrock 500. With the latter it's also easier to tune, the mixture screws are handy there by the driver's side fender. Throttle is aft -- I use a lokar type cable, and choke is in front -- I use the factory manual cable.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board