Inliners International
Posted By: vernon What Chevy inline 6 cyl do I have - 08/16/03 08:05 AM
Hello , i a new to the board and glad I found you all. I have '46 Chevy pickup with a inline 6 I can't seem to identfy. I thought it was a 230ci but am not sure.
It has a 7 bolt valve cover. do any of you know what possible engine this might be?
thanks,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What Chevy inline 6 cyl do I have - 08/17/03 02:53 PM
Welcome Vernon,

A 7-bolt valve cover could be a number of different engines. Look on the lower perimeter of the block above the oil pan rail, and write down the casting number. Then check that against the "casting numbers" link on this site. That's the only way you are going to get a positive ID.
Posted By: short&wide65 Re: What Chevy inline 6 cyl do I have - 08/17/03 11:27 PM
My truck is a 1965 GMC shortbox fleetside built in Oshawa by GM of Canada. It's Woodland Green in colour and was ordered with the bull low 4-speed and trailing arm/coil spring suspension. My dad was told in the late 70's when he bought the truck that it was a 250, I decided to verify this using the casting number. My number is 3850817 which lists as being a 230 or 250!
Is there any other way to get a positive I.D.? I do have the engine apart if that helps.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: What Chevy inline 6 cyl do I have - 08/18/03 12:53 AM
If the piston has a D shape inset/dished Then it's a 250 If it don't Then it's a 230
Hope this helps.}[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry
Posted By: gearhead Re: What Chevy inline 6 cyl do I have - 08/18/03 03:35 AM
Another way to tell a 230 from a 250 is by the stamped code to the rear of the distributor. Motors, Chilton and Hollander usually have these codes listed. If you can't figure it out, post it here and we can try to look it up.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: What Chevy inline 6 cyl do I have - 08/18/03 03:34 PM
I keep forgetting about that stamp One of these days I'll remember that LOL }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry
© Inliners International Bulletin Board