Inliners International
Posted By: STR86NOVA Stalls when pulling up to a stop sign - 04/16/06 09:14 PM
Recently got our 72 Nova back on the road and rebuilt the Carb, Rochester MV. Purrs like a kitten at idle, runs great on the open road, but when I pull her up to a stop sign she will ocasionally die on me. I have gone through the carb a couple of times to make sure that I have everything set properly, timing is dead on and just put a new advance on the distributor. I am perplexed, please help.

Oh yeah, how do I stop percolation as well?
Posted By: Bruce Re: Stalls when pulling up to a stop sign - 04/17/06 01:47 PM
Any chance the float setting is wrong? If too high it may dump fuel. Not familar with the carb, but any chance the advance is hooked to an incorrect port?

Assuming you have a stock intake and exhaust, you should be able to get an insulator gasket at any parts house.
Posted By: STR86NOVA Re: Stalls when pulling up to a stop sign - 04/17/06 02:46 PM
I went through the carb and checked the float level, its within 1/32nd. Would running too lean or rich cause it to stall out?
Posted By: novaconv Re: Stalls when pulling up to a stop sign - 04/17/06 04:04 PM
I'm not sure but isn't there a solinoid or something that keeps the throttle from closing to fast. Maybe an adjustment there?
Posted By: STR86NOVA Re: Stalls when pulling up to a stop sign - 04/17/06 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that the idle stop solenoid is there to set and maintain the slow idle rpm. Once it is not energized it drops the idle rpm below a maintainable level, when you turn off the ignition.
Check the idle vent valve. I think you have it down too tight. Had that problem on my 292 with the Monojet.
Larry
© Inliners International Bulletin Board