Inliners International
Posted By: RevOD Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/14/06 12:23 AM
Well i picked up my 1970 250ci / Sag 3 spd today. Along wth an Offy 4bbl Intake. The engine needs a good degreasing and spray. Along with all the gaskets replaced,t-stat,water pump,front seal, ect... just to avoid changing them when its in the car.

It turns over freely by hand and I can feel the compression so that all seems good. Just trying to decide on a color. Im not going with orange, maybe Mopar Turquoise, Pontiac Metallic Blue, or Ford Green... \:\)

250ci #1
250ci #2
250ci #3
250ci #4
Offenhauser Intake
Cool looks good, brand new intake?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/14/06 04:02 AM
Yeah its new, but I bought it locally from a guy for half the price of a new one. I just need a flexplate and a 2bbl now.
Posted By: Hector Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/14/06 06:54 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by RevOD:
Just trying to decide on a color. Im not going with orange, maybe Mopar Turquoise, Pontiac Metallic Blue, or Ford Green... \:\)
Hey,ChevyII man,how about some Chevrolet "Blue Flame" blue for that six?
If you have a four barrel adaptor, maybe run a four barrel carb? Edelbrock carbs work good & they are not high maintenance.
Just a couple cents.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/14/06 11:06 PM
The smallerst Eddie I can find is a 500cfm. Wouldent that be a bit much for a stock 250? I was thinking either a H/W 5200 or a 350cfm Holley 2bbl. The HW5200 im still unsure of how I would attach my TV cable to it. A regular holley would be an easy swap.
Holly made a 500 2 bbl cfm & that is fine.
There were two size dual jets carbs GM put on cars I believe they were a 350 cfm & a 500 CFM?
Maybe someone else here knows for sure?
The old circle track guys used the larger ones I am pretty sure they were 500CFM ,because after a while they were hard to find so they changed the rule book stating they could run a 500 CFM 2 bbl Holly.
Besides you can always disconnect the secondaries & only run on the primary's. Later, if you hop it up a bit you can hook back up the secondaries.
500 CFM is not too big far a stocker, it will work OK.Just run it on the primaries. Holly's seem, for the most part need some attention @ some time or another.
The Eddlebrocks ,you just hop in & drive, no worry's.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/15/06 02:55 AM
Well I really like the uniqueness of the 5200. I alredy have a 750cfm dp I could just run on the primaries lol. Im gonna call Langdon tomorrow and possibly end up with the Holley/Weber
O, the Holly/Webber progresive two bbl, those are good carbs also, better gas milage.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/15/06 03:22 AM
yeah assuming i can mount the carb linkage front to back I should have no issues with linkage.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/15/06 10:00 AM
Holley also has a 350 2bbl a 390 4bbl 450 4bbl I have ran holleys for Manyyyyyyyyyyyyy years and never had a issue with them. even ran a 600 on a offey right out the box on a 250 yeah it may have a touch rich lol But hey I was giving 16-18 city with a 4speed M20. I never cried when standing be hind it,Sooooo it couldn't have been to rich rofl.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/15/06 10:31 AM
Yeah I was looking at the 350 2bbl. IF I could find one for a decent price I have everything I need to tune holleys. Just the idea of tha 5200 seems cool and the price from Tom you cant beat.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/17/06 01:45 PM
Well i got her cleaned up and starting laying soe paint on her. I went with GM Apline Green

Posted By: Diesel Dan Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/17/06 06:29 PM
Im sure the HW5200 is great and thats why the inliner shops make and sell adapters to run it.I am just not sure I like the "hotwater choke" they run.(biased Holley fan)
Posted By: Joe H Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/17/06 11:37 PM
That color would look good with so chrome covers on the side and top! Great choice.... where are you at in Missouri? Joe
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/17/06 11:42 PM
No Chrome lol.... heres a better pic showing the color. I am in Fenton MO.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/18/06 01:30 PM
I was able to get the motor off the picker and onto a stand today. I pulled the pan and rocker cover off to get cleaned up. While its off I plan on replacing the oil pump and having the pickup tube hot tanked.

I pulled the Exhaust manifold off to get the exhaust studs replaced and have it resurfaced. Im also having a friend of mine grove and cut a 6in SBC balancer to replace the stock one thats on there.

A new water pump is on order so I should have most of the engine bolted up and ready to go. Now if I could just fine some 6cyl Frame mounts...
Don't forget to drill & tap the crankshaft for a balancer bolt install.
As long as the pan is off, you should check the rod bearings & replace if worn etc.

Good luck. \:\)
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/18/06 05:40 PM
Oddly enough the crank is alredy tapped. As for the bearings I pulled a few and they look great.
Posted By: efi-diy Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/21/06 12:44 AM
After your get the pick up tube back, suggest you give it a good rinse/brush with lacquer thinner - you'll be amazed at how much gunk is left over from the hot tank.

Is the rear main seal ok?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/21/06 01:11 AM
Hard to tell, but that thing was leaking oil from everywhere. I assume you can chang eit without removing the crank just pulling the rear main. What are the torque specs for the rear main once it goes back on?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/25/06 03:18 AM
Well The rear main is changed, new oil pump is in and primed, as well as a new waterpump. Tomorrow the timing cover gets cleaned up and painted and then stuck back on. Luckilly the stck nylon cam gear looks in great shape.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/25/06 08:27 AM
The cam gear is a Fiber gear. And if in dout about the Miles on the Motor I'd change it just for GP.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/25/06 08:34 AM
Nah no doubut on the miles.... Ill eventually put a cam in it so i can change it then.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/25/06 07:16 PM
If you go to the Alum Gear Set Be SURE to HEAT The Cam gear Before Pressing it on.
Not to change the subject but how do you load pics in your posts like that?

Martin
Dear Martin;

Lorin (the Webmaster) will know.

When you change your cam & add the aluminum gear change the crank gear too. A new (aluminum) gear with a used (steel) one sometimes will whine.

Martin, I only learned recently to post pictures here and so I can help.

I opened a free account at:

http://photobucket.com

Then I upload the desired pics to Photobucket website (I usually reduce their size). When I’m writing a post, I simply copy the “image address” from the picture I want to post (I choose the “Img” option) and paste it in the message. I suggest clicking “Preview Post” to confirm everything is OK.

Example:

is actually “{IMG}http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/rofc/I-6GM250.jpg {IMG
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/GM_Inline_6/photos/view/e3b6?b=1[/IMG]
I guess I need to use photobucket then. Thanks.

Martin
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/26/06 06:23 PM
timing gears Come as a Matched Set. So Use them as they come. Miss matching will do more then just make them Whine. I know been there done that Because of some silly A** shop who had no clue. and I Ripped a set apart @5000 bent up all exhaust valves and 7 push rods.And a few intakes.

It is also in one's best interest to mech. fasten the cam gear when in Dout. BUT at the VERY LEAST
BE SURE the GEAR has been HEATED before installing.!!!
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/27/06 09:48 AM
How high up in the RP band are the fiber sets good for?
The fiber & plastic cam gears were used to elimate the "noise factor" and are designed for that engine's 'normal' operating limits.

In commercial use or in Hot Rods you should use the aluminum ones as their stromger and last longer.

The 70s era SBC timing set (plastic)would die @ 70-90,000 miles where the 1960 version rarely failed long after 100,000. This too encouraged sales due to the SMOG restrictions then.

There often sold in sets which is to incourage installing both together with "unworn teeth" so they will run quietly.

They don't need to be from the same MFG, just unworn etc.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/27/06 10:18 AM
Who sells the Aluminum Sets
Cloyes makes them.
Sissells stocks them, & sells them I believe.http://www.sissellsautomotive.com/
Auto parts stores should be able to order them.
Posted By: Diesel Dan Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/27/06 03:22 PM
Yep they are easy to find and fairly inexpensive. According to Leo Santucci all 292 truck engines (post 1966)ran the aluminum gear so just order a set for a 292 truck.
Posted By: Hector Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/27/06 07:35 PM
I had the stock phenolic gear give out on me coming out of a tunnel in Virginia several years ago('70 C-20 with a 80k mls. 250ci),not a good feeling.The Al gears could be bought at any of the chain auto parts stores for around $20.00+/-.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/28/06 02:15 AM
Ok cool ill look into changing those when I do a cam change. For now ill stick to the stocker sicne thats what im doing with it. I got the oil pump and clean pickup tube in. Also got the front cover painted and bolted up with a new front seal. Waiting on my SBC balancer to arrive which is cut and grooved.

Frame mounts should be heere shortly and When Langdon get back from vacation im ordering my hw 5200.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 08/31/06 01:13 PM
Making progress with the motor. New oil pump, clean pickup and fresh gaskets.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 09/08/06 06:12 PM
Got some more stuff on, move my 1 wire 100amp alt over from my v8 and got the pully painted and installed.

Also got the exhaust manifold sprayed up with some high temp exhaust paint and almost ready to put on after final modifications are done to the intake.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 09/08/06 07:58 PM
The cloyes gears are a degreed set. which is a little more but not by much.
"The cloyes gears are a degreed set. which is a little more but not by much"

That is the set I always use.
Hank
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 09/14/06 11:32 PM
More updates. I got my pan and rocker cover back and painted up.

Also I began work on making a custom adapter for the Holley 500cfm 2bbl. Had to make my own to put the fuel bowl up front instead of 90deg like the offy adapter puts it.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 09/28/06 09:39 PM
I got my balancer today. a SBC balancer cut and groved.... very nice fit. Also using a piston stop I verified TDC and remarked the timing line on the balancer itself.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/29/06 02:30 AM
More update pics. I finished my home made adapter for the 500cfm 2bbl. Came out great.

Looking good!
Not sure if you done it already but you can port & open up your exit on the exhaust manifold & run a larger pipe for better exhaust flow.
Got anymore pics of your balancer w/the grooves?
Posted By: Diesel Dan Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/29/06 03:41 AM
Definately cool!!! I think the 50cc accell. pump might prove to be too large though.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/29/06 03:50 AM
Hank any instruction on how to port that open I would love to know how. As for the 50cc pump yeah i figured it might but it was on the carb when I bought it. I have a 30cc one if need be to change it.

I can get some detailed shots of the balancer for you tomorrow. The guy did a great job.

Hank BTW do you have any pics of your setup in your camaro as fas as turbo location? Im wondering how to mount a small turbo off the stock log.
Posted By: Diesel Dan Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/29/06 04:07 AM
The 292 exhaust manifold will bolt right up, it uses a 2 1/2" pipe and has a three bolt flange. But it looks like you already have your stock manifold looking pretty nice on there.......
Diesel Dan is right , if you can locate a 292 manifold put one of those on instead of porting your 250 one.
Porting is done by grinding w/a porting tool, electric or air type.
Use a carbide cutter & just grind the opening bigger.
I think you might get close to 2 1/4 opening?maybe???, if not that big, anything will help, I think it is smaller than 2" as they come stock?

Maybe some guys here have some 2.5" manifolds lying around??
Yes the (large) 292 manifold is the best choice. \:\)

It only comes on the series 40 trucks though. Otherwise there the same as the 250 with the (2 bolt) smaller pipe.

There hard to find as well.

Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/30/06 12:51 AM
rev, another tip for you. truck motors(1/2 ton on up) used a different motor mount that bolted to the block. it is shaped to accept a small block chevy rubber motor mount. these are much better at holding the motor than the thick rubber ones used in cars on sixes. these were used on 250's in pickups. you will also have to use the corresponding v8 bracket for the frame. tom
tlowe I.I
so you are saying, get a truck rubber mount.
But if you do, you need a V-8 frame mount?
Or?????
Did you happen to take any pics of your 292 mounts in your 65 Elky?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/30/06 03:07 AM
No joke huh. See im going from a 8 to a 6. I got the 6cyl frame mounts but one is taller then the other. You saying that if I can find these truck motor mounts I can use my V-8 Frame Mounts?

Here is my issue right now. One frame mount is taller then the other. Anyone know which ones goes on which side? This is for a 72 Nova
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/30/06 10:20 AM
the mount you have shown in one of your pics is for a car application. on a 72 nova, it still uses a 3 bolt rubber mount correct? if so keep your v8 frame mounts and find some pickup 250 engine mounts. 292's use a simulair mount, with a v8 style rubber mount. only the driverside will fit from a 292 onto a 250. the pass is different. all this keeps much better control of the motor, less flexing. these engine mounts are found in 63- atleast 72 chevy pickups. tom
Can you post some pics of these V-8 mounts & truck mounts?
Thanks
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/30/06 12:09 PM
it sometimes seems like i have to do all the leg work. here are some pic's of 292 mounts that accept v8 mounts. all 292's used them, only truck 250's had mounts simuliar to these also.

. tom
Thanks Tom!!!
Another question,,, with the 292/250 truck (thinner rubber) mounts, does the engine sit at the same height as the thick rubber mounts?
RevOD ,,,here is a 292 manifold for sale. 2.5" outlet.

Ebay,,,,,Item number: 280041908594
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/31/06 02:37 AM
Yeah man that deffenitly looks like it flows a ton better. Not to mention with the horizontal exit it should make turbo hookup a bit easier. Ill have to call a few local junk yards to see if anyone has one. I can only imaging shpping would be a bit much on that.
Posted By: Winter Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 10/31/06 09:21 AM
When the 292 Series 40 truck manifold is installed on a 250 with a manual transmission, will the attached exhaust down pipe interfere with the clutch linkage attached to the engine block? Is there a resolution?

Thanks
W;

It may I don't know, as I've only used them on the 292 engine.

I would think the Muffler Shop could "give her a bend or two".

Unless your building a "really hot" 250 engine, just use the stock one, as the only difference in at 'high' RPM. The "really hot" ones use headers to get even more etc.

RevOD:
Would you please post a picture of the grooved balancer for us to check out. I'd like to get one made too. I'd like to find a dual 4bbl Offy intake for my 250 for two single barrel throttle bodies like Jim Linders truck.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 11/01/06 03:28 AM
Yeah I will try and remember to snap some pics when I get off work this morning.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 11/01/06 08:25 PM
Here are those pics of the balancer. You can see the stock timing mark and the new one I located and marked.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 11/16/06 09:50 AM
Well now I just need to get motivated to take the lift over to my dads place to pull my v-8 and prep the engine bay for the 6.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 11/22/06 01:06 AM
Well the V8 is out and the engine bay is ready to be prepped to drop in the 6....

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 11/27/06 11:54 PM
I got the drain fitting installed int he oil pan today. Used a -8an bulkhead fitting in the side of the pan. -8an should be large enough right?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 01/15/07 05:26 PM
Well the head is Cracked... shop just got dome looking at it to rebuild it. I guess the search is on for another head.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 01/15/07 05:49 PM
let me know if you can't find one. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/03/07 05:19 AM
Might be good news... found out a friend of my fathers just happens to have a 15K mile 230 (i believe) from a 65 chevelle. Its the original motor was pulled and stored inside. Contacting him tomorrow about it. If it turns out to be a 250 ill swap the whole thing in.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/04/07 02:46 AM
Eh shot down on the motor so were having a head I got for free rebuilt.
RevOD,

I was wondering if you had the damper turned down on the center section, so the damper sits closer the the timeing cover?
Thanks

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/04/07 03:17 AM
I did have it turned down on the center section or the groove would not line up.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/04/07 03:43 AM
Here is is after the install before we pulled the head. Tons of room for the turbo and a small FMIC too. I also ordered a Pertronix kit for the distributor.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/04/07 04:53 AM
A few more things are on the way. A Boost gauge and cup, an LC-1 Wideband Controller that will power my already installed Autometer narrowband gauge for quick reference and a Moates "O" Meter for more accurate info and data logging.

The machine shop starts work on the head Monday so hopefully that will all be squared away within the week and I can fire this car up and drive it. Im stoked to get the turbo housing and flange back so I can start welding up the turbo exhaust.

I am going to just use the stock manifold and attempt to make a tight enough bend.
Sounds good!
I would suggest using a stainless tubing for your u-bent part. Using a plain steel will corrode in no time & get weak.
You can buy thick wall stainless u-bends on Ebay

With schedule 40 or so,, thick wall tubing , it will support the turbo much better.
They are already chamfered & ready to weld.

You can buy schedule 40 stainless tubing or plain steel from McMaster Carr.http://www.mcmaster.com/
They have different angled pieces to fab your U-bend pipe.
Or get some ideas here: http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html

Fabricating a Turbo Header

Should not be too complicated.

Any more Q's,, let me know, goodluck!

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/04/07 03:18 PM
Yeah ive though about that problem is I don't have a setup to weld aluminum. Although I have thought about using Steel Sch40 weld els and pipe for it.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/07/07 01:35 AM
Well as I dont have the setup to do stainless I did start on making the header with Sch.40 Iron Weld Els. A bit heavy but should work fine. Then eventually I can build one with stainless.

Pic is a bit big but I didnt have to to resize it.
http://www.odiesgarage.com/Blog/Nova/Turbo_013.JPG
Looks good!
The schedule 40 weld els , are supposed to work fine, + it needs to be thick (which they are) to help support the turbo if you do not make any other brackets for support.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/07/07 10:11 PM
Yeah a buddy of mine built his V8 turbo headers from these. So I figured i would give them a shot. I got them from McMaster - Carr ordered 5pm and got them @ 3pm the next day.... now thats service.

With thoughts of making a header, what about a simple Log Style manifold? Huber Performance here locally in St. Louis uses one on his 9sec SVO Mustang.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/08/07 07:50 AM
Maybe something like this? [img]http://www.odiesgarage.com/Blog/Nova/log%20manifold.bmp[/img]
Log type manifolds seem to work OK, but,,,, for all out power a nicely designed tubular manifold will make you some more HP.

MBHD

Innovative turbo sells turbo manifolds for the 194-292 engines.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/09/07 03:11 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank:
Log type manifolds seem to work OK, but,,,, for all out power a nicely designed tubular manifold will make you some more HP.
I hear that alot but then again.....

All with a LOG Manifold. I know innovative selld one but Im not dropping $600 on it.
Nice pics!!!

If you pick up some books on turbocharging, you will find log type & nicely done tubular manifolds,,, but they all agree, a properly designed tubular turbo manifold will net you more gains.

If they did not see any improvements w/a turbular header manifold,,, then you would have seen log type manifolds on Formula 1 cars.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/09/07 03:36 AM
Im sure there is at some point, but not for my application definitely.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/09/07 05:02 AM
I also picked up a Knock Off Type-S BOV and knock Off Tial WG w/ a 3/6psi spring. Also got a MBC.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/09/07 10:17 AM
revod, i'd say go for it and make the manifold! hank is right a tubular tuned header is best. but you are not building a all out race motor. it would work fine in your application. i would recommend making a jig to make it easier to fab up. if it works good, like i think it will. you may be able to sell these elusive manifolds. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/09/07 11:03 AM
yeah what I need is to get a cad drawing for the flanges so my machine guy can make me a set to start with. Ive got auto cad just gonna have to start measuring it up.

No like the MSPAINT drawing i had above. You think its viable to merge the 2-3 and 4-5 pipes into one and dump them into the log? Do you see this creating any issues
RevO,

Merging those cylinder exhaust ports will not hurt anything going into a log type manifold.

MBHD
RevOD
What is MBC?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/09/07 11:49 AM
Manual Boost Controller
Manual boost controllers are ok, but your boost will vary from day to day depending on the weather conditions.

A good electronic boost controller would be a better way to control boost.
I know they are kinda expensive, but they are programable & worth the investment.
Two cents

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/10/07 01:02 AM
Yeah to start the manual will be ok even a bit of variance to start. Once i get it all figured out I will pick up an electronic one.
Sounds good, did you weld some more weld els?
What car is the turbo going in , a 1965 Chevelle?
Pics?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/10/07 01:24 AM
No didn't weld anything else up waiting on the head to come back so i can mock the locations up first. Its going in a 72 Chevy Nova.
Cool,
so what all is being done to you cylinder head?

You might want to bump up the valve spring pressure a bit,,, since you will be added boost pressure to the backside of your valves.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/10/07 01:55 AM
Hardened exhaust seats, new guides, valve grind. Just a basic rebuild. By bumping up the valve spring pressure you mean swap in stiffer springs?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/10/07 02:34 AM
Here is the car from 2 years ago before my V8 broke down.

And here again this a few days before I got stranded in Stroud, OK.

http://www.odiesgarage.com/Nova/images/Super40.mpg
You can install different springs or add shims(not recomended really,since springs are pretty cheap & they will be new)
It's up to you.
You can run stock four barrel head springs. Good choice in your case.
A little bit stronger factory Z-28 springs or others do not cost that much. Those would be a bit too much(Z-28 springs)

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/10/07 02:40 AM
so you can use a std z28 spring on these without modifications? I might pick a set up and have him install them if thats true.

How about these?

SEAT PRESSURE
110 lbs. @ 1.750"

OPEN PRESSURE
325 lbs. @ 1.200"

COIL BIND
1.150"

FREE HEIGHT
2.030"

NOMINAL LIFT
.490"

MAX. LIFT
.550"
RevOD,,
I would use the stock four barrel head springs.
Like for a 1969 Chevelle/Camaro etc.

With you running a stock cam ,those springs you had on previous post, those are too much for what you need.
You could run the Z-28 springs,they usually do not pull the pressed in studs, but I would set them @ 80 lbs on the seat.

But like I said before,just install the 4 barrel 350 1969, head springs,these springs are fine for your stock cam & running a turbo.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/11/07 02:13 AM
Gotcha, maybe for the heck of it once they are back I will go ahead and pin the rocker studs.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/11/07 08:59 AM
So would these be more along the linse of what i should get? They are just a stock SBC valve spring. They are from Elgin

Free Length : 2.0300
O.D. : 1.222 / 1.238
I.D. : 0.868 / 0.884
Wire Size : 0.177
Closed Press : 76-84 lb
Closed Length : 1.70
Open Press : 194-206 lb
Open Length : 1.25
Solid Height : 1.1500
If those are for the stock four barrel heads from 1969 era or so, then yes.
Heads like the 041's 441's those are the last three numbers on those type of cylinder heads.

MBHD
RevOD, have you thought about running methanol injection?
If not you might want to look into that also.

MBHD
RevOD,,,
I keep forgetting to ask you.
Are you going to run an intercooler?

I know you are working on a low dollar install.
If you are thinking of a intercooler, I would think about getting a used Volvo intercooler from a junkyard, they are pretty darn big & flow decent.
Intercooling plumbing you can get pretty cheap on Ebay, they come in prebent tubing w/hoses & clamps.
Might have to put on rolled beads on the ends of the tubes so the hoses won't blow off.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/13/07 12:48 AM
I do plan on running an IC. Ive looked at some Probe IC's that would fit up front nicely.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/13/07 12:50 AM
for the valve springs the shop said i needed something with a similar free height. What are the stock springs?
Let me get back to you on that spring question question.

When you say a probe intercooler,are you talking about a Ford Probe?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/13/07 05:18 PM
Yes ford probe
I would not suggest using a Ford Probe intercooler.
It is designed for a 2.4 liter.

Generally speaking, factory intercoolers are too small to begin with. They just throw in an intercooler that will fit(for packaging purposes),not one that will cool the best.

I know what your saying that it will fit perfect for your car,,,, but take it from me,,,, it is too small.
A Volvo intercooler is as big as the radiator,it is overkill pretty much for there size engines.

You can pick them up at junkyards & tell them it is a radiator,(usually radiators are cheaper than an intercooler.

But if you want to spend a little more for a new intercooler, Ebay has tons ,,,just look for a bar & plate design & one with the flow requirements you are looking for with the inlet & outlets where you want them.
My two cents

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/13/07 11:47 PM
There is unfortunately no way to make one that large fit in my car, it least not in front. The grill is too close plus I would have to slice up the hood latch support and re brace it some how and that I do not want to do. And with the 6 being so long I cannot move the radiator back and put it in front of that. So Im stuck wither running a smaller one or running none at all. There is literally no room in the front of the radiator without doing some major surgery....
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/14/07 12:11 AM
i had to remove my hoodlatch assembly. the requsite hood pins look good. my intercooler is a common aftermarket type. finned area is 18 long by 6 tall 3.5 thick and 2.5 inlet and outlet on same side. i did have to cut some holes in my rad support to route the tubes and alittle notching for total cooler clearance. all this in a 65 elcamino. you can make one fit. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/14/07 12:38 AM
Oh I could but I am not installing hood pins lol.... Like I said I could do some rebracing and fit one about the dimensions you said and keep the hood latch, just unsure if I want to.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/14/07 12:49 AM
if you keep the boost pressure below 6 lbs you may not need a intercooler. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/14/07 01:03 AM
We didnt plan on going over 6-8psi anyways for now.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/19/07 10:10 PM
Here is my finished Turbo Outlet Flange. Had it custom cut by MC Motorsports. Its an odd ball bolt pattern so I had to send my housing off to him to get it cut.

Now both housings are at the Powdercoaters its getting 2000deg Satin Black on the Hot side and Black Chrome on the cold side.

Looks nice!
Did you want to weld a V-band flange to it first,then get it coated?
V-band set-ups work great! No gaskets, easy to take off & put back on.

MBHD

http://www.raceprovenmotors.com/cart/index.php?cPath=160_112

Ebay Item number: 120088832655
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/19/07 11:29 PM
The flange is a separate piece then the housing. It will just bolt on, and the pipe will be welded to that flange. Then once its all welded up the hotside pipe and down pipe will be coated also.
RevOD,,
I have the same type of set-up you are putting together.

I just welded a 3" V-band flange to the flat plate.
I also made the transiton from the turbine wheel to the 3" V-flange nice & smooth to the 3" downpipe.

Just so it would be easier to take off & on the downpipe.My flat plate has 5 bolts holding it on, so I did not want to takeoff all 5 bolts to unbolt the downpipe.

Now & can just loosen the one 7/16 nut on the V-band clamp & the downpipe comes off.

When you have your downpipe welded to your plate, be sure to check for flatness, they have a tendancy to warp after welding.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/20/07 11:48 PM
I would like to do a v band but I do not have the ability to weld stainless steel unfortunately.. do they make them in mild steel?

Got some more toys in today also.

Most of them are made w/mild steel.
When people advertize them, they say "stainless" ,,, but ,that is usually the clamp they are saying is stainless.

B.T.W., you can weld mild steel to stainless.
There is a particular type of welding rod you should use, but it is not absolutly necessary.

I see you have new toys.
Going to be veiwing your A/F readings?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/21/07 12:52 AM
yeah going to split the inputs from the LC-1 to my narrow band Autometer LED gauge and then to the O Meter which has a digital display as well and data Logging abilities.
Do you have a wide band set-up?
If not, I would not tune with just a narrow band reader, not very accurate,also very slow!!
Two Cents.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/21/07 01:53 AM
Yes like I said I have a LC-1 which is a wideband sensor setup. I will use the narrowband guage which your can program the Wideband to run as a quick refrence and the O Meter which will also give me a numerical display.
I thought the LC-1 was a wide band, just slipped my mind.
I just use the LM-1.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/21/07 03:13 AM
I did fine a v band set in mild steel so I may look into that. have to see if I can afford the extra $50 or so on them right now.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/23/07 03:21 AM
I located a Mercruiser Cast Valvecover today also. Should be here soon.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/27/07 04:41 AM

RevOD,,,
Looks good,

Did you finish your "J-pipe" to attach your turbo to the exhaust manifold?

That Nova pic brings back some good memories of my Moms 73 nova.

Your boost gauge, does that read in Bar,not psi?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/28/07 04:10 AM
I need to get the head back from the shop to finish the J-Pipe so I know where the location will be. The boost gauge does read PSI. The "O" Meter you dont see will be right where the odometer is.
RevOD,,,

cool! Did you get an velosity stack inlet w/your turbo?
I know they make nice aftermaket ones for GN's, try & get as big as you can, helps the airflow.

On your exhaust manifold heat valve, are you installing a plate for the to cover it?
I never seen that done yet, but I think T-lowe had his all done,but then he went & bought a SPA turbo exhaust manifold & used that instead.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/28/07 04:46 AM
I have a stock turbo inlet bell I believe its 3in.

When you say Exhaust manifold heat valve you mean the flapper in the exhaust manifold? What would I cover?
I forgot what intake manifold you are going to use?
Does it bolt together to the exhaust manifold?
That would be too much heating of your intake air if they bolt together.

If you can, look for a 4" inlet & relocate a inline filter to get cold air.
I would not just bolt on a filter right to your 3" inlet, too much hot air in that area.
Two cents. :-) Not trying to be pushy, just giving you some ideas.

MBHD

Yes, I am saying the flapper valve in the exhaust manifold.You would need to position the flapper valve to flow correctly for your turbo application.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 02/28/07 05:28 AM
Ah I see what your saying, yeah I dunno how I would block that heat off. Im using the Offy 4bbl intake. so they do bolt together. I guess I could always just Weld the flapper shut inside the manifold.

I think I may use a 3in to 4in coupler and then run a 4in filter remote mount.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/02/07 11:25 AM
Well looks like my 250 might be a 230. Since I had the head off I decided to take some measurements and seems with the piston at BDC its only 3.25in Deep.

Here is the problem. This is what was stamped n the block.

Here is where the problem came in. My 1973 Motors Manual list the block stamp CCC as a 250 but in my 71 Motors Manual it list CCC as a 230. IS just measuring the piston depth an accurate way to tell?

If so... oh well
Larry/Novaman will know "what up" with that.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/02/07 11:32 AM
well it least the 230/250 heads are the same correct? I'm having the head rebuilt so I can always swap in a 250 or rebuild it with a 250 crank. I had plans to build up a motor anyways in the future.

I'm not to concerned seeing as I'm not building a race car. I just want it to run and be fun, even the 230 with the turbo should be exciting.
RevOD,,,
The cylinder heads are the same.

You can turn the crankshaft & put the piston @ BDC Botton dead center, (bottom of the bore)

Place a tape measure/ruler, down the bore to the top of the piston.

Look @ the top of the block where your ruler/tape measure is @ see what the measurement is.

3.53"= 250
3.31?"=230 off the top of my head???

So basically if you see your measurement is just over 3.5" then it would be a 250.

MBHD
RevOD
Here are the casting numbers to the 250 cranks that I had gotten on one of my past post on that very same question.
3876802*
* This is the crank in my block which shows to be a 230 also. Hope this helps. Are you still digging out from under snow? I'm so gald I don't live in Missouri any more.
;\)
Randy
Posted By: inline300 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/02/07 10:29 PM
 Quote:
Since I had the head off I decided to take some measurements and seems with the piston at BDC its only 3.25in Deep.

3.25 comes out to just under 230 cubic inches, looks like you got a 230.

Good luck
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/03/07 01:57 AM
Yeah seems that way... it least it wasn't a 194 lol
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/03/07 01:59 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Randy S. Hager:
Are you still digging out from under snow? I'm so gald I don't live in Missouri any more.
;\)
Randy
Snow? you kidding its been in the 60's here for the last few days. We barely got any snow around st. louis
Posted By: inline300 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/03/07 10:38 AM
 Quote:
Yeah seems that way... it least it wasn't a 194 lol
My bro ended up with the 194 \:D
Posted By: sgtsteve Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/03/07 02:00 PM
No, at least it's not the 153 ...
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/03/07 06:00 PM
True....

More parts arrived.

RevOD
Yea, it's around 65 miles from your house out to Troy or up to Bowlingreen were my step-daughter lives. Seems they got a lot of snow. Glad to hear your not snowed under. Hey, about the 230, I think you can get forged pistons for a 283 then you can turn up the boost for some great HP/TQ.(i'm sure someone WILL correct me if I'm wrong) :p
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/04/07 04:34 AM
I think they are 307 pistons IIRC. Yeah when I rebuild I will be doing that.

Also ive been looking I think I may try and run a Top Mount IC.
307 pistons are for a 250 is correct.
283 pistons for the 230.

MBHD
Thanks Hank. I didn't think I was losing my mind before 50. Lots of helpfull people here on this board. I've learned a lot form guy's like you! ;\)

PM me about the roller cam from Comp Cams.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/06/07 02:38 AM
 Quote:
307 pistons are for a 250 is correct.
283 pistons for the 230.
I though they were the same bore?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/06/07 03:20 AM
Well there was not a big enough space to weld a 3in pipe/v-band. And even 2 1/2 would not leave enough room to weld near one bolt hole. So I had the shop fab up a series of swedges on a pipe to enlarge it to 3in. Not pretty but it will work.

That will work fine!
Just make sure the adapter plate is still flat after that swedge was welded on. Two cents :-)

So,, what's next on the agenda?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/07/07 01:07 AM
Yeah we already check it as flat. We stitched it on as to prevent any warping, im actually quite happy with how the welds turned out. The head should be back soon. We actually tested the stock springs and they were 81psi close so were leaving them on there. Its getting all new intake valves the stock ones were severely pitted and wore down in the centers. I decided not to go bigger since I do not want to mess with grinding a relief.
OK, I guess on the springs, but you have to ask yourself, how old are those springs & how little $$$ a new set of stock springs cost?
I know, I know, 30 dollars here, 20 dollars there adds up quickly.Two cents.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/07/07 10:23 PM
 Quote:
OK, I guess on the springs, but you have to ask yourself, how old are those springs & how little $$$ a new set of stock springs cost?
I know, I know, 30 dollars here, 20 dollars there adds up quickly.Two cents.

MBHD
Already ahead of you a new set of stock springs are going on the head.
[/qb][/QUOTE]I though they were the same bore? /QB][/QUOTE]

RevOD
Both engines have the same bore but, have different wrist pin height/compression height.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/07/07 10:29 PM
 Quote:
I though they were the same bore? /QB][/QUOTE]

RevOD
Both engines have the same bore but, have different wrist pin height/compression height. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Ah ok.... that makes sense
How do you do those qoutes?
These stupid bracketed things come up when I use the "QUOTE" feature. What am I missing?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/08/07 12:13 AM
 Quote:
How do you do those qoutes?
These stupid bracketed things come up when I use the "QUOTE" feature. What am I missing?
I just click on the " " button above the post and then type below it lol.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/12/07 05:30 AM
Well its time to hustle... the head is back and looking good. All fresh vlaves, new stock springs with 1 shim to raise the seat pressure, seals, guides, exh seats, new freeze plugs, 2 new rocker studs. Ive got it set on the motor and will be bolting everything back together tomorrow. After setting the valves we'll check for compression again and then see if we cant fire her up before the end of the night.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/13/07 12:23 AM
I got the fuel system hooked up, the TV cable is in, intake and exhaust manifolds are on, sensors are hooked up. Honestly all I need now are plugs which ill have tomorrow and we can try and fire it up.
TV cable?
Are you using a 700R4?

Have any pics of your linkage/TV cable for the guys running this type of trans?

Good luck on the start up!

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/13/07 02:05 AM
2004R actually. No pictures of that yet, gotta get a bracket for it. Mines pretty simpled since I mounted the 2bbl front go back instead of sideways.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/13/07 08:41 AM
walt ive just picked up a cheap throttle cable bracket like this. And hooked it all up, nothing fancy but ill get pics soon.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/13/07 10:35 AM
Oh yeah no problem I had this trans hooked up to a holley before, simple issue. I just hooked it up, adjusted it and viola good to go. Put 2000 miles on it and no issues. Its really not as complicated as people make it out to be. The bes thing is to make sure its pulling the cable level. On my V8 w/o the corrector arm for the holley it did shift a bit firm but thats due to just a hair too much line pressure but like I said 200o miles and about 15 drag strip passes.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/14/07 08:45 AM
I set the valves yesterday by adjusting the exhaust when the intake rocks and vice versa. Check good compression on all cylinders, no more 30psi on #1 \:\) I am picking up plugs first thing this morning and then I will try and fire her up.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/15/07 12:00 AM
It runs.... once the exhaust is on ill have to set the valves running cause I don't think they are right but it does run and idles just rough. Im going to get the new valve cover on and run it through a few cycles, top off the tranny fluid, and the coolant. Ive ordered the las bit of pipe for my turbo up-pipe which should mount just ahead of the carb, but well see.
Congrats!
Good to hear it's running!

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/15/07 02:10 AM
Also ordered a throttle cable bracket and the geometry correction lever for the Holley. Never had one before but figured I might as well.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/19/07 10:16 PM
Well we were working on the up-pipe today and decided to fire her up.

http://www.odiesgarage.com/Blog/Nova/Startup.MOV
I was hoping you would record this. Sounds good.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/19/07 10:44 PM
Yeah need to do something about the 50cc pump and large squirter. Also the new t-stat was sticking and then blowing off a ton of pressure at once so we pulled it for the time being.
I was hoping you would record this. Sounds good.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/20/07 01:07 AM
I really do need one of those 292 manifold though for this turbo, it would make things so much easier. Just a pain tracking one down.
I believe Tlowe has a few 292 manifolds???
I think he might want to sell????
tlowe I.I.#1716

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/21/07 12:58 AM
Here is the up-pipe. The welding we did on there was with the MIG, but were finish welding with the ARC welder and a small rod. The 110V Mig we have just cant heat that pipe enough.

Looking good!!!!
Did you put a flange on for the turbo yet?
Is that an O2 sensor I see?

Did you find a carb bonnet to blow the pressureized air to the carb?
I have been seeing them on Ebay cheap recently.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/21/07 02:33 AM
Not yet, going to finish welding the pipe up tomorrow and then place the flange. Yep thats my Sensor from the LC-1 I installed.

No luck on a bonnet yet, might end up making my own.
Here is one that looks OK.
Ebay Item number: 150063211870

Another,,, you can give them an offer Item number: 190083310838
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/21/07 03:47 AM
Yeah Ive seen those, the first one is made by Specter and you can get for that price from autozone. I think we may try and fab up something ourselves.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/22/07 11:23 AM
:p
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/22/07 04:01 PM
lookin good! keep up the good work. this will all pay off in the end. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/22/07 07:09 PM
Thanks, it should be fun for a first setup \:\)
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/23/07 12:13 AM
Heres a better picture....

Very nice!!!
Is your LC-1 tapped into the #1 exhaust port?
Or is that an EGT sensor, hard to tell.

I am sure you will be burning rubber in no time!
What is the stall on your torque converter?
I'm always a big fan of the 2004R's ,nice gear spacing!!
I see your boost referenced Holly FPR, nice!

The only problem I might see coming will be the passenger sytle engine mounts.(Tall, thick, spongy)
They are going to flex like crazy!!! Engine is going to torque right over!!
You could install some sort of engine tie down.
Or install V-8 mounts like Tom did on his 65 ElCamino. Two cents :-)
For the rest of your exhaust system,what are you planning to run?
3" all the way to the back, straight through muffler?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/23/07 12:49 AM
 Quote:
Very nice!!!
Is your LC-1 tapped into the #1 exhaust port?
Or is that an EGT sensor, hard to tell.
Um nothing actually, maybe your seeing the wire for the temp sensor?

Quote:

I am sure you will be burning rubber in no time!
What is the stall on your torque converter?
I'm always a big fan of the 2004R's ,nice gear spacing!!
I see your boost referenced Holly FPR, nice!
Its has a Stock Monte Carlo SS converter I think its like 1900-2100 range. And yes that FPR works too lol, I was surprised but will eventually swap it out for a new one.

Quote:

The only problem I might see coming will be the passenger sytle engine mounts.(Tall, thick, spongy)
They are going to flex like crazy!!! Engine is going to torque right over!!
You could install some sort of engine tie down.
Or install V-8 mounts like Tom did on his 65 ElCamino. Two cents :-)
Id though about doing the v8 mounts eventually. I do have a hold down strap that came off my v8 that will get installed.

Quote:

For the rest of your exhaust system,what are you planning to run?
3" all the way to the back, straight through muffler?

MBHD
I am going to run 3in all the way back to a 3in "Super 40" Flowmaster and a 3in Tailpipe, also plan on installing a cutout at the bottom of the downpipe.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/30/07 03:41 AM
Well I have my throttle and kickdown hooked up. The oil line and oil pressure gauge is installed on the turbo. Left is to install the wastegate and work on a downpipe. Once thats done I will I will begin building a carb hat.

Plans are to have the WG and down pipe done it least by next friday. Id like to take it to our local cruise. Is it safe to drive it without the turbo hooked up to the carb as long as theres a filter on the turbo?
RevOD,
so,what's the latest?
MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/30/07 04:01 AM
 Quote:
RevOD,
so,what's the latest?
MBHD
See Above your post... \:D
You could easily overspin the turbo & damage it.
I would not do it.
The Super 40,,, is that a straight through flow type muffler?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/30/07 06:17 PM
Gotcha... that settles that, might just run open exhaust then. The Super 40 is Chambered.
RevOD,
you can use a muffler, I would just use a straight through type.

It's just w/a turbo,,,,,,if you have back pressure in your exhaust system,,,, your turbo will spool up slow.
Keep your tubing bends to a minimum,,, & use mandrel bends.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/30/07 11:09 PM
Oh yeah I understand that, we plan on putting a cut out at the bottom of the down pipe also so if we do race it we can just uncap it. Maybe ill look into some sort of straight through muffler also, since this will be a street driven car Id want to have some sort of muffler to quiet it down. Possibly a 3in Bullet Type muffler. Any suggestions?
If am not mistaken your super 40 is supposed to have better flow than a straight through glass pack.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/31/07 04:27 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by big bill:
If am not mistaken your super 40 is supposed to have better flow than a straight through glass pack.
Yes im not sure of the exact numbers but they Do flow VERY well. I will most likely use it for now since I have on here and then change if I feel the need. Once again not a race car, just a street car so i can worry about the "itll make more power" later on.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/31/07 10:20 AM
i am not running a muffler on mine. it is loudest at idle. still no louder than the 40 series my bro used to have on a v8. the turbo really quiets it down. i run 3" open clean to the rear of car. comes out behind the tire. tom
The best type of muffler to use is the straight through design w/perferated holes on the inside, louvers do not flow as well.

I run a 3" straight through round type muffler w/louvers,(the muffler shop did not have the other type).This is on my 4.3 V-6.
It sounds good at idle, but it is really loud when I open it up.
Other guys w/Syclones & Typhoons run a straight through (no muffler 3" exhaust sytem) & have gotten too loud exhaust tickets.

Guys w/no mufflers say they like the idle sound ,,, but it "sounds like as$ wide open"

Some race tracks require you to run a muffler w/two or three baffles or have to be below a certain decible level.

MBHD
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/31/07 04:54 PM
Hey I just signed up on this thing on the recommendation from someone on another site, because I'm interested in doing the very same thing your doing, and I believe it is in a Nova as well. Well, I hate to jump in when you have 5 pages of forum notes so I was wondering if I could email you. I don't know if you can send a private message on here, if I can let me know how so.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/31/07 05:28 PM
Same here out Street Class at the track does require a db level so a muffler of some sort may be needed.
Posted By: inline300 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/31/07 07:38 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by neonova75:
Hey I just signed up on this thing on the recommendation from someone on another site, because I'm interested in doing the very same thing your doing, and I believe it is in a Nova as well. Well, I hate to jump in when you have 5 pages of forum notes so I was wondering if I could email you. I don't know if you can send a private message on here, if I can let me know how so.
One way to Private message, find a reply by the person you wanna PM, in their message box, click the icon above their message, of two people shaking hands with an envelope behind them.

Another method, on the main forums page or individual forums pages, you will see vistors listed at the top in blue, if you see that persons name, click it, their profile will pop up, above the profile information you will see "send new private message", click it.

Good to see you made if over from the nova site. ;\)
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/31/07 11:30 PM
Yeah he got me in PM were good.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 03/31/07 11:37 PM
thanks ... sorry i kind of ruined the flow of the topic, lol. well anyway, can you put up maybe a before (when you started) and a current pic up so i can see the overall view?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/01/07 12:08 AM

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/01/07 04:54 PM
I was able to fire the car up today to check the oil feed and drain for leaks. All is good but I have a question, the turbo spins right up as soon as you start the car and you can hear it whine and if you raise the rpm even a littel its very noticable. I assume this is normal for it to be that loud even at idle?
Yea,
sounds normal,it will quiet down a bit when you hook up your flex duct w/a filter.

Did you find some downpipe material?
I think you were making your carb bonnet now?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/01/07 05:28 PM
Yeah I bought one of those MANDREL Bend pieces 3in that has like a 180 and a 45 in it to make the downpipe. Yeah looking to build a carb bonnet, not so worried about how it flows trying to think of something unique.

When I was pulling the car back into the garage I gave it a lil stab and she turned over my 255/45/17's with ease. Gotta love 3.70's and a low 1st gear \:\)
I also have been working on my down pipe.
I need to have it make a joggle, because my power steering box is in the way.
I am just useing mild steel pieces to mock it up, then copy it in stainless 304.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/01/07 06:38 PM
Yeah im doing it in Aluminized Steel.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/01/07 06:56 PM
thanks for the pictures, this is so educational.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 05:24 AM
HEres the oil feed line and the start of the turbo inlet. It2 2in to clear the radiator hose but them it sizes up to 3in and a filter. Ill have more pics tomorrow. Gonna mount the wastegate and heat wrap the up pipe.

Rev OD.
Where did you get those brackets that hold the oil supply line above the spark plug wires?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 03:01 PM
They are just rubber lined hose clips, you can find they at any hardware store.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 08:49 PM
hey, where did you get the valve cover? or did you just restore the original?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 08:51 PM
The valve cover is from a Mercruiser Boat Motor.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 08:58 PM
ooo, was it a junkyard find?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 09:02 PM
ebay actually, guy was trying to sell an entire motor, when I saw it didnt sell i emailed him about getting the cover itself, $25 shipped later and a can of paint and here we are.

Oh btw...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSB2uvlOOtQ
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 09:34 PM
Rev It's looking good. Are you running the stock cam? or did you up-grade it?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 09:36 PM
Stock cam right now.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/03/07 10:04 PM
haha, good deal then. so the marine straight 6 engine parts are generally the same? maybe not internally but externally?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/05/07 08:15 AM
Yeah they seem to be, even internally I believe they are very similar.

I did place an order for a carb hat but its on backorder so in the meantime I fabbed up my own from some 2.5in pipe and a $4 Stainless Steel container from WalMart. It was the perfect size and will work just fine as a temporary fixture. Going to wrap up the J-Pipe today with header wrap, connect the boost lines to the Fuel Reg, Waste Gate, and Boost Gauge. If my Mandrel Pipe shows up today ill also be able to get some sort of downpipe and the 02 Sensor installed.

Whats the acceptable distance for a wideband 02 sensor to be away from the Turbo?
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/05/07 09:18 AM
mine is about 1 foot down stream.tom
Just a quick tip.
It is not a good idea to wrap up your J-pipe w/header wrap,esp if is not stainless steel.

The wrap will cause the pipe to errode very quickly & soon it will fall apart & rot,maybe not as fast with schedule tubing but it will.

That goes the same for your down pipe.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/05/07 11:36 AM
You know I hear that, but its honestly a myth. We had a set of mild steel headers on a honda wrapped for 6 years and when we pulled them the only place there was rust was where there wasn't header wrap.
My friend built a set of headers from a do it yourself header build kit from Hooker.

Wrapped each primary tube nice & tight all the way to the collectors.
Really nice job!
You could put your hand on any pipe or collector after it was run good & hard, never got hot to the touch.
After a year of driving w/them for a year (SoCal weather), they literally fell apart.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/05/07 10:32 PM
Odd cause this is from 6 years of driving on that honda.

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/05/07 10:40 PM
Got a few more pictures to share.

Here is the filter setup, once again temporary for now but it will work and should get enough fresh air.

Here is the Up-pipe wrapped up. This stuff works wonders on heat retention.

Here is the temporary carb hat. My "real" one should be here in a week or so.

Here is the 02 sensor location in my temporary crushbent Downpipe.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/05/07 11:34 PM
everytime i see you make more progress, your puttin a bigger smile on my face. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/06/07 12:05 AM
We should have a charge pipe a.k.a. Radiator hose to use temporarily. Well be driving it tomorrow for longer then the 1/2mi to the parts house. That LC-1 is awesome too
Are you installing your intercooler?
Looks good!
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/06/07 12:19 AM
Not right now, but I will be once the new carb hat arrives.
Do you have the wastegate installed?
I did not see it in the pics, but I saw the flange.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/06/07 12:24 AM
You can see it in the picture of the 02 sensor, right below the intake.
 Quote:
Not right now, but I will be once the new carb hat arrives.
Which carb hat did you purchase?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/06/07 02:13 AM
The new one from Spectre http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9843
Posted By: inline300 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/06/07 10:40 AM
Be sure and post a video of your boosted maiden voyage. \:\)

Coming together nicely.

Good luck
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/07/07 12:29 AM
Well we drove it tonight. Exposed some wiring issues which will be corrected next. All my gauges, radio, ect... are going to get pulled and rewired. But It does feel peppy it peaked @ 4psi on the gauge with a 3.63psi spring in the WG. With the open DP I get all my boost by 2000 RPM it seems. And I was able to hold a steady 11.7:1 AFR @ WOT. Once the new carb hat arrives I can finish routing all my boost and vac lines correctly.

I also want to get my exhaust on so I can listen for things like knocking or detonation. Plus I think I need to run through the valves one more time. But I will say im impressed with the seat of the pants feel, you can feel the boost kick in, even if its only 4psi.
Glad to hear you drove it!

One quick tip,,, many times you cannot hear detonation even with a quite exhaust system.

That is why I recommnd the J&S safegaurd system,just my two cents,& strongly recommended esp w/cast pistons.

Second tip would be to install an alky injection of some sort.
I am sure w/4 lbs of boost you can feel it but boost is very addictive, your going to want more.

Unless you have very good self control & keep the boost down,I would strongly suggest those two ideas.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/07/07 06:32 PM
yeah there are more plans and alky injection was talked about. I like the J&S but it cost more then what I have tied up in this whole project. Ive though about picking up a MSD BTM though to help out. Plus i drive like a grandpa %80 of the time anyways lol
The MSD BTM would work OK, but it has no way of detecting detonation.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/08/07 12:26 AM
Yeah I hear yeah, its just not in the budget for much else. Also my MSD box has a Timing Retard function, I wonder if I could hook it upto a knock sensor? or possibly just a hobbs switch to pull x ammount of timing at full boost?
RevOD,
just curious ,how much have you invested in this project?
It is worth every $ spent BTW.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/09/07 08:03 AM
So far including the purchase of the motor and the head rebuild I have yet to spend over $500. Alot of DEALS and alot of parts lying around. I have looked into building a DIY knock sensor though so well see.
Posted By: inline300 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/09/07 09:23 AM
Good to hear its moving under its own power.

So whens she going to the dyno?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/09/07 01:36 PM
Not for a while, The car has alot of bus to work out considering it hasn't moved under its own power for 2 years. Well have to see.
RevOD:
Just got my fuel rail and injector bungs to convert to MPFI. Getting a turbo similar to yours. Hopefully I can make as good of progress as you have. I have more on my plate then I can keep up with so.... I might be able to get it in N/A and run it that way to get things broke in.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/09/07 09:31 PM
Yeah sounds like a good idea. I plan to go MPFI eventually.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/11/07 01:44 AM
My 3in mandrel bends showed up today so I can complete my exhaust. Cant wait to hear that thing running through the full pipes
Sounds good.
So what muffler did you decide on installing?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/12/07 02:35 AM
For now ill install my Super 40 Flowmaster, I can always change it out later on.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/12/07 03:01 AM
I did order a v-Band flange setup to hook the exhaust to the Downpipe. That should be here tomorrow.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/12/07 08:56 PM
I did some more work on sealing up the carb, removing the choke, ect... the Down Pipe is wrapped and you can see the 02 location. V-Band will be here tomorrow, and my fuse panel arrived so I can rewire the gauges and 02.

Looking sharp!
Are you ready to install your new carb bonnet & intercooler, or is that on standby?

Also ,take notes on when your boost comes in after you install you exhaust system.
Goodluck!

MBHD
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/13/07 04:08 AM
hey, did what have you done so far internally? i.e. forged pistons, cam, etc?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/13/07 04:12 AM
No intercooler yet, but a new carb hat should be here shortly, wont be driving it again till that does arrive. I will watch that and plan on installing a cutout to bypass the exhaust when racing.

As for internals.... its completely STOCK. 230ci with 75,000+ miles, just a rebuilt head, petronix ignitor, and an intake.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/14/07 04:49 AM
Well looks like I found an intercooler. Smaller one but bar and plate style and should be easy to find somewhere to mount it. Its a Saab 900 Stock IC. should work just fine for my low boost application, now just where to mount it.

If you run that intercooler I would install a Spal electric fan mounted to it.
Cheapest place to buy from is www.the-fan-man.com
1(866) 435-6477
I put one on the wifes Jetta intercooler & made a noticable difference.

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/15/07 02:53 AM
humm never thought about that, ive got a 9in fan that I could use. Anyone know of a way to monitor IAT?
The Spal fans are really slimline if you are hurting for space.
There are several companies.
Slips my mind right now ,but you can install a probe, my friend runs a small wire w/probe on the end of the wire into the airstream of his intercoolers inlet & outlet, & uses a westech dual temp gauge.
IIRC

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/15/07 03:35 AM
Yeah the 9in we have is a slim one, used to run it on a transmission cooler so it should work perfectly. Ill look into finding a probe to watch the air temps.
RevOD,,,,,

I was wondering what kind of wastegate did you use & if you had any closer/better pics of your install?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/15/07 09:19 PM
Its a Tail Knock off 38mm from ebay. I will take some pics from underneath when im working on the exhaust tomorrow.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/16/07 02:36 PM

Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/16/07 02:45 PM
Also I picked up a carb hat over the weekend in Kansas City. Most likely a dual fuel hat for a propane system? But well make an adapter and it should work out just fine.

Nice pics!
That does not look like the carb bonnet you left a link to???
http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9843

Are you going to run a pipe from your wastegate into your exhaust system, or just leave it open?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/17/07 01:41 AM
Your coorect I stated i picked this one up in KC, the other was back ordered so i canceled the order. I will run the wastegate into the exhaust.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/19/07 02:49 AM
I worked on the intercooler today looks like ill be able to mount it in front of the radiator.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/19/07 09:16 AM
i knew you would figure out a way to do it. keep going. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/20/07 04:53 AM
Yeah well see once I get it completely mounted, going to route the charge pipes right under the radiator support and back up to the turbo and carb. Ive also decided to keep the PCV system, with a check valve and a catch can, the rings on this thing are bad, without one it just mist oil out the breather even at idle.

Almost finsished rewiring my accesories to the dedicated fuse panel I purchased also.

Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/20/07 08:30 AM
It realy Looking Good. Keep it up and You be buzzen them v8guys for sure. \:D
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/20/07 02:22 PM
does the fuse panel have anything to do with the turbo functions or is for the ignition/accesories?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/20/07 04:10 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by walt 1940:
If the rings are that bad, why not re-ring before hitting it with the Turbo.
It may not last long.
Well we didnt know they were that bad till we got this far along. I would rather finsih up all the small details and then worry about re-ringing it so it can be an easy in and out operation. Plus who knows what else we may find once we get inside it might turn into a full on rebuild and I dont plan on spending that money on a 230ci
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/20/07 04:21 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by neonova75:
does the fuse panel have anything to do with the turbo functions or is for the ignition/accesories?
Nope just wiring up items like ignition, wideband o2, gauges, ect..
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/21/07 12:25 PM
ok, kind of threw me off for a second. so if the things inside are bad and require a rebuild, which you dont want to do, what becomes of the whole project?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/21/07 05:53 PM
Rebuilding a 250 or a 292 block, not a 230. If im going to drop $$ on a rebuild it will be with a bigger ci motor. Plus i have a buddy with a fresh 250, cammed, with a roller rocker head that im trying to get him to sell me. With that motor I could swap on forged pistons, rod bolts and go.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/22/07 02:39 AM
so from the knowledge and experience you've attained through this project, running a 250 would be nearly identical to the setup you have now? btw, is there a stock forged piston for the 250 (or 307) or is that all aftermarket?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/22/07 02:53 AM
Exactly identical, only difference is the bore x stroke.Yes the 307 Forged Piston will work on the 250. This would even work on the 292 that just has a a bit higher Deck height IIRC
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/24/07 06:16 PM
are you getting your parts mostly from swaps, junkyards or the interent?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/24/07 10:23 PM
I bought the motor locally, the turbo off a GN Forum, most of the tubing and flanges from McMaster-carr, a few things off ebay and the rest is stuff I had lying around or from the local parts house.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/25/07 12:41 AM
and your doing the tubing yourself?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/25/07 12:48 AM
The up pipe I fabricated myself. The downpipe I had the local parts house bend up real quick and the rest of the exhaust I will do myself.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/26/07 11:41 PM
what kind of exhaust are you running?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/27/07 12:11 AM
Right now nothing, but I will be running full 3in back through a 3in Flowmaster Super 40 and a 3in tailpipe behind the rear tire. Im going to have them cut it short of the fender and then ill weld on a piece of 1.5" rusty pipe from a 73 Nova to the 3in so thats all you see under the fender.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 04/28/07 02:35 AM
gettin fancy i see. lol. i was considering taking off my cat, welding a new trunk floor, and running a split pipe out under neath. i really like the curved pipe behind the rear tire though. ever do anything like that before?
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/08/07 03:37 PM
Well I got exhaust run from the downpipe to the muffler, 3in crush bent (it was cheap and i need exhaust) didnt change the spool up time by maybe 100-150rpm if that, the whine is very hushed now also.
Posted By: inline300 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/08/07 08:41 PM
pix - video \:\)
 Quote:
Well I got exhaust run from the downpipe to the muffler, 3in crush bent (it was cheap and i need exhaust) didnt change the spool up time by maybe 100-150rpm if that, the whine is very hushed now also.
So,, when does the engine start making boost(RPM) & what is your torque converter stall? (RPM)

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/08/07 10:20 PM
I would have to look closer but im full boost @ 2700 i wanna say it starts building around 2400ish. The converter is right around 2000-2100 ish
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/08/07 11:44 PM
how much boost are you building? can you really feel it pulling? are you gettin any time to tune it? take your time, destruction can happen fast while in boost. tom
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/09/07 12:10 AM
We have a 3.36 psi spring in there right now to be safe. We took the carb off this afternoon. Were boost referencing the PV. Then im going to set my cruise AFR and then try to get the WOT AFR down. Using vent tubes first and then work on opening up the PV channels.
 Quote:
I would have to look closer but im full boost @ 2700 i wanna say it starts building around 2400ish. The converter is right around 2000-2100 ish
That is what I was talking about when running a chambered muffler over a straight through type. You loose 100-200 rpm untill your engine sees boost.
Now to make your vehicle launch w/boost pressure,you would need a looser converter.
I know you have the stock cam,correct,,, & see it still lacks a little low end grunt,that is why I recommended a 2400 RPM stall torque w/a stock cam.

I know you have some more tunning to go,glad to see your enjoying it!
Goodluck on your tunning,also,,, where are the pics of the exhaust system?

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/09/07 12:39 AM
Ill have some soon, yeah im not real worried about launching w/ boost honestly, its not a race car. Although Ive considered installing a cutout just for such occasions. Maybe if I build another motor I will worry about good flowing exhaust and looser converters but I just want a driver mainly I went through all that in the last few years when i raced the car, manual valve bodies, 3600 converters, yadda yadda just tired of all that.
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/09/07 12:42 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by tlowe I.I.#1716:
can you really feel it pulling?
A bit, when i first set it up and had good AFR's I had the charge pipe blow off and you bet I felt a loss of power at that point. But ALOT of turning to go.
Yeah, I see what you are saying, it is not being a race race & I was not saying it was.

I was looking @ a standpoint of better drivability.
It is more injoyable to drive a car without turbo lag, & having a 2400 RPM converter is by no means a high stall race converter,you really would not notice the difference between 2100 & 2400 RPM converter.
Two cents

MBHD
Posted By: RevOD Re: Picked up my Engine and Intake Today - 05/09/07 10:31 AM
Your right I wouldn't and i will keep that in mind definitely.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board