Inliners International
Posted By: tom c broken fuel pump - 02/04/07 02:57 AM
Apparently , I put the wrong fuel pump on my 53.When I tried to start it & the pump wouldn't pump so I took the pump back off . The arm is broken off . So,the arm is now down in the oil pan . I guess I'll be removing the pan to get it out .I might try one of those long extendable magnets . Any suggestions ?
They make long magnets that are on a flexible shaft. Snap on has them, I remember Sears had them but not Sears brand.
There should be available at your local tool store?

MBHD
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: broken fuel pump - 02/04/07 08:19 PM
I bought a 30" length flexible magnet in the Dollar Store for ahhh; "WUN DOLLAR" \:\)
Posted By: tom c Re: broken fuel pump - 02/04/07 11:10 PM
Thanks Drew . the Dollar Store is the first place I'll try tomorrow. Big Lots will be plan B .I had one of the magnets until recently when I sold a car & must have left it in the car.
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: broken fuel pump - 02/04/07 11:18 PM
Dear Tom;

It's not likely you'll be able to "fish that out" unless you can see it, through the hole etc.

Just pull the pan, wash it up and clean the oil pump screen. If It's a 'low pressure' engine you could tighten the rods up too.

Look at this as a new opportunity.

Good luck. \:\)
Posted By: Mike G Re: broken fuel pump - 02/05/07 12:04 AM
With a lot of patience you might have a little more luck by pulling out the breather pipe and trying to get it that way. That at least will give you a straight shot downwards if nothing is in the way.
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: broken fuel pump - 02/05/07 12:26 AM
Dear Mike;

There's a baffel in there that prevents the crank from splashing oil out the breather.

Good idea though. \:\)
© Inliners International Bulletin Board