Inliners International
Posted By: homewood4 235 - Break-in Tuning Help - 09/08/07 10:46 PM
Son and I are having problems, hope you can help....
1961 (Impala) Chevy 235 just rebuilt, added Clifford headers & water manifold, 4v Holley 390cfm (rebuilt by Larrowe and Sons), adjusted octone selector to 0, carb vaccum plugged, timing set to ~5deg BTDC....Idles great but studders when accelerating.

Dwell set ~22?

Headers running bare...have not had exhaust system completed yet.

What should we check? Appreciate any help.
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: 235 - Break-in Tuning Help - 09/10/07 11:58 AM
Set the points at .018" & never mind the dwell meter. Then reset the timing. The vacuum advance needs to function, as well.

Re check valve adjustment.

Good luck. \:\)

PS: Don't run it to long with headers open that way.
Posted By: Moondog Re: 235 - Break-in Tuning Help - 09/10/07 01:30 PM
I would say get rid of Clifford intake. I ran one for several years. Started with an Edelbrock carb. Got it to run then swapped for a 32/36 DGEV Weber (progressive). It ran great, but still hesitated on accelleration. A couple of weeks ago, I ditched the Clifford and put my stock intake back on. I built an adapter for the Weber, but swapped the carb for a 38/38 DGAS, which is a little bigger, and synchronous. Runs great, idles like a champ, but pulls like Bull!
Moondog
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: 235 - Break-in Tuning Help - 09/10/07 01:57 PM
Don't "give up the ship" this soon.

Wait till you finish the exhaust system, break in and drive it some.

Happy trails. \:\)
Posted By: dbane261 Re: 235 - Break-in Tuning Help - 09/10/07 02:13 PM
makes me wonder how a carter 400 cfm 4bbl with a clifford intake would behave on a good 235/261? hmmm
Posted By: Bald Eagle Re: 235 - Break-in Tuning Help - 09/10/07 06:48 PM
Five degrees BTDC is insufficient with today's fuel. Try increasing the timing with the octane selector until the stumble goes away. That stumble is more ofen insufficient advance than a carb issue. I'd be willing to bet that the stumble will go away at between 7 and 10 degrees more advance on the octane selector. You will, of course, have to back it off if you get pinging under load or bucking against the starter.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board