Inliners International
Posted By: 31chevy Mounting 250 in a 1932 chassis - 11/27/07 04:57 PM
Hey wanted to ask for some help on my build. I want to put a 1960's 250gmc engine in between the orginal frame rails. I have nno idea of were the mounts are located or look like. For the 60's I thinkl there were two side engine mounts right.
so i will have to fabricate two mount. How should i does this. Anyone been in my position and can shed some lght.

In a magazine i read that there was a single front mount, bolted in between block and timing gear cover.
any pictures.

- Ryan
Posted By: GMDad Re: Mounting 250 in a 1932 chassis - 11/27/07 06:51 PM
Ryan, your best bet is if you have the body on the frame, assemble the engine and trans that you want to use and set it between the rails as close to the firewall as you can and still have clearance. Trans crossmember won't be too hard to fabricate once you know where the trans is going to sit and Chassis Engineering make some nice universal side mounts that will bolt to the engine and adapt to the chassis. Just tack weld the mounts and cross member until you have your steering, exhaust and the rad shell mocked up to where you know they are going to fit. Good Luck.
Posted By: Mike G Re: Mounting 250 in a 1932 chassis - 11/27/07 06:53 PM
The timing cover front mount is for the 216 and early 235. A 250 has side mounts. You'll want to use a type of mount that allows the engine's weight to bear straight down on the tops of the frame rails similar to an old flathead Ford. The original upper mounts for a 250 will try to push the frame rails apart. Not a good thing. Try Buffalo Enterprises link on here or Chassis Engineering in Iowa for the correct mount. You'll also need a rear crossmember under the trans. Simply put, you want the engine and trans supported in the same locations as it was in the GMC truck.
Posted By: chevman32 Re: Mounting 250 in a 1932 chassis - 12/13/07 01:15 PM
I own a couple '32 Chevy's, fitting engine mounts is a snap. You can get some from a junk fyard and cut to fit or fabricate them, I have done both ways and each one is a fine way. There's plenty of room for the 250 in th early chassis and will fit under the hood too. Just be creative and you'll have no trouble. Transmission mounts usually will bolt to the stock crossmember with a small adaptor plate.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board