Inliners International
Posted By: Ducky 235 Rod bolts - 02/27/04 10:26 AM
Does anybody have a source for these?
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: 235 Rod bolts - 02/27/04 09:41 PM
What kind do you want?

John M....
Posted By: Ducky Re: 235 Rod bolts - 02/28/04 12:54 PM
John, thaks for the reply; My problem was the engine I bought had what seems to be 427 rod bolts in it. This took some time to figure out. They have an off-set head that hits the cam flats between the lobes. The cam in the engine had grooves ground in the flats. I replaced the cam and didn't want to grind similar grooves in the new cam.

After a lot of head-scratching, I've decided to grind a flat on the bolt instead of grinding the cam. I've found out there are at least 2 types of 235 bolt head design; one with a 'pent-roof' and the other looks like it has 'wings' on the cam side. I'm grinding the heads to look like the 'pent-roofs' and chacking the clearance of each one (.060).

The engine is stock stroke and rods, .060 over aluminum JAHNS pop-up pistons (no, I don't know the compression ratio). The engine will not be run hard when installed (famous last words!!!).

If you have a set of 12 (of either design) you'd like part with, I'd be glad to buy them.
Posted By: Drew, II # 4211 Re: 235 Rod bolts - 02/29/04 12:12 PM
Ducky, Check your email cocerning Rod Bolts I have.
Posted By: cujo Re: 235 Rod bolts - 02/29/04 11:38 PM
With slight modification I was able to use "351 Cleaveland" rod bolts from ARP in my 261. The modification involved grinding one side of the rod bolt head flat (1/16") using a bench grinder. Email me if you want more details.
Posted By: Ducky Re: 235 Rod bolts - 03/01/04 12:13 PM
Thanks to all for the replies (here and by e-mail); I've decided to modify the bolts I have. It's not that hard, the finished product looks good, and I don't think there is any reduction in strength from stock.

Only 2 more to go...... \:\)
© Inliners International Bulletin Board