Inliners International
Posted By: oldrodder43 flywheel help - 04/21/08 12:26 PM
Hello folks. I have a chevy 230 engine from a '69 camaro that 'apparently' had powerglide. I need to find a flywheel for it for use with my s-10 five speed B/W T-5 (also clutch and pressure plate). Can someone steer me as to what I need for flywheel please? One on it is 153 tooth by 13 inch diameter. I've been told that a SBC flywheel would work, but ?????
I managed a bell housing off ebay that will mate the two. Lots of flywheels on ebay too, but makes my head spin, can't figure out which one. Thanks a bunch. Perley
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: flywheel help - 04/21/08 03:06 PM
match the teeth on it and you should be good to go.
Posted By: oldrodder43 Re: flywheel help - 04/21/08 05:09 PM
"So, you're saying that I can use any flywheel from any Small Block Chevy (305-350) as long as it has 153 teeth and is for a standard tranny?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: flywheel help - 04/21/08 07:52 PM
Yes i run the bigger 168 on my 250's Small & BB flywheels all fit. The main difference is the one peice rear main seals. I think those were/are different when it comes to the crank face. But if you stick with the older style( two peice) you'll be fine.
Example 64-78 flywheels 153 tooth
Posted By: oldrodder43 Re: flywheel help - 04/21/08 08:55 PM
Thank you very much Larry. I certainly appreciate that info. Regards. Perley
Posted By: Mike G Re: flywheel help - 04/24/08 04:07 PM
You also have to avoid the flywheels for the small block 400 engine. Those engines were externally balanced, unlike the sixes and the pre 87 small blocks. As I think about I believe they were all the larger 168 tooth wheels so you shouldn't have to worry about it if you are sticking with the 153 tooth versions.

The bellhousings are different. The smaller flywheel uses the one that has a straight side where the starter nose installs. The larger flywheel bellhousing has a very noticeable round bulge for the starter nose.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board