Inliners International
Posted By: schub71 292 integral head - 05/16/08 01:03 PM
I have found a 292 out of a 3/4 ton truck that has an integral head. Is the integral head okay to have? I guess I don't really understand what the integral head is. If anyone can educate me that would be helpful. Thanks.
Posted By: Mike G Re: 292 integral head - 05/16/08 02:04 PM
It just means the intake is cast as one piece with the cyl head. For a stock engine it is fine. Running other than the stock carb requires using a non intergral head off of any 230 - 250 - 292 so you can use a separate intake for the carb or carbs. Some have made adapters to use a larger carb on the intergral but overall it is still very limited for performance gains. The other difference is the valve cover is not intechangeable from intergral to non intergral heads.
Posted By: pinebluffdude Re: 292 integral head - 05/27/08 04:37 AM
I have an 81 GMC Truck with 250 Integral Head. I have heard that they are prone to cracking... I cannot verify that rumor. I think people dont like them because they are ugly. They look like they have a Martian Space Helmet.
In addition to the Intake being cast with the head, the intake bolts to the exhaust.
I got an extra Integral Head 250 for $100 this week. I will take some pictures and post them... so then we will both have a clue about these motors.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board