Inliners International
Posted By: RedZombie Timming a 235 - 05/27/04 02:35 AM
I've got a stock 235, mechanical lifters, in a 53 chevy Belair. I had the engine rebuilt by a friend a couple of years ago. Unfortunally he skipped town once he got the engine in the car...not running. I basically have it going now, but am setting up the timming by myself. I understand the ballbearing on the fly is about 5'BTDC. Where do I do from their with my distributer? Any hits and suggestions would help so I can have this thing runnuing smooth.
Posted By: John H. Meredith Re: Timming a 235 - 05/27/04 08:24 AM
Dear Bill;

First you have to find TDC on #1 cylinder as the ball 'lines up' twice. So; remove #1 plug & rotate the engine with the starter until you feel pressure(with your finger) in the that cyl. & line it up then.

Next see if the distributer is in right. If not, remove it watching which way the rotor turns as you will need to know this when you re-install it(it will rotate the oposite way). Now rotate the rotor to the #1 position and install it. Make sure it goes all the way down, or the oil pump won't work.

Clear as mud; right???

Without turning the engine try it a few times until you get it right. You may have to move the oil pump drive slot with a screw driver to line it all up.

Good luck, John M.........
Posted By: RedZombie Re: Timming a 235 - 05/27/04 09:23 PM
Thanks. I've got it set. I never thought it would be that easy. Now just to set the carb.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board