Inliners International
Posted By: motorhed327 which motor? - 09/19/08 10:12 PM
I am a semi-newbie looking for advice on which motor to build for my '53 chevy (car), I have a 250 & a 292. This car is going to be a driver, 700R4 trans and a nova rearend (3.08 gears). This is not going to be a racer, dependability is key. Although it is still going to be a hotrod, so I don't want a totally gutless drivetrain. If I don't use the 292 in this car I am thinking of building it to go in my '71 C10 to replace the 350.
Posted By: pinebluffdude Re: which motor? - 09/20/08 01:07 AM
If you build the 250 to get decent torque and breathing that would be good. These are not High Reving Engines. You might could put an RV type cam in it and find an Aluminum Intake and Headers... yes they make em.
This way the motor could breathe and get some decent torque for pulling that heavy car. A friend of mine had a stock 250 in a 63 Nova w/ 3-on-the-Tree... he blew away Camaros often because the car was so light.
Torque and Breathing - Easy on the Reving.
Posted By: motorhed327 Re: which motor? - 09/20/08 10:48 PM
I have a head that I am not sure which motor it is off of, I do not see the casting number on any of the links. The casting # is 331184. I think that it is a 292? Would this head be acceptable to run on a 250 if I use 307 pistons, what kind of compression could I expect?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: which motor? - 09/21/08 09:34 AM
that is a 250 head with 72.76 CCs If it has never been Milled.
Posted By: motorhed327 Re: which motor? - 09/22/08 09:25 PM
That's perfect, that will allow me to replace the integrated head. Any storage tips for my 292 block and crank (to keep them from rusting) that I already had cleaned up at machine shop? Since I am thinking that I will build the 250 and keep the 292 for a "later" project.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: which motor? - 09/22/08 11:41 PM
I use inter-guard(rust proofing wax----Honey Coating) on all my bare metal. Eastwood also sell stuff for bare metal/Blocks.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: which motor? - 09/23/08 04:40 AM
I have used two products for that, 'Black Bear' par al keytone (not real fond of that as it's a real bear to get off after it sets up) and LPS 3 (sets up somewhat softer than bees wax).

Remember it's gotta be clean underneath, no fingerprints under whatever coating you put on, or they'll be etched in the metal when you take the coating off (ask me how I know \:\( ).
© Inliners International Bulletin Board