Inliners International
Posted By: neonova75 v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 11:41 AM
Specifically, I was wondering if a harmonic balancer pulley would work, as I need to replace mine.

Otherwise I was wondering what accessories would also work.

Thanks
Posted By: gearhead Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 12:49 PM
On a V8, the pulley bolts onto the damper, On sixes, the pulley IS the damper. So, no they aren't really interchangeable.
It is possible to make the V8 damper work, but you will need to monkey with everything else to get it all to line up correctly. Much easier in the long run to get the right part...

There are several places that specialize in rebuilding dampers. I believe most generic parts stores can get you a new one also.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 12:54 PM
I thought BHJ and Fludamper both made a perfrormance replcemant for the 6's (235 / 261, not sure about the 250 / 292 etc)?

Probably not what you are looking for, as they would be pricey, but should work better than the stock piece.

Probably doesn't help, but I hope it does.
Posted By: neonova75 Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 12:55 PM
I've found the balancer readily available, it's the 250 OEM pulley I can't find. It did come off the balancer, with three bolts and a puller.

Thanks though
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 12:59 PM
Crud, I dunno. \:\(
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 01:35 PM
Fisher makes a small dampener with the V grooves for our L6.But it is not Ment for HP.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 01:44 PM
larry,
the fisher damper is now called vector. last time i tried that guy is impossible to get a hold of to get parts. tom
Posted By: efi-diy Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 03:10 PM
What if you used a SBC damper and then have a pulley machined to fit over the out damper outer ring but still bolted to the center hub?

Or maybe the Brazilian connection have a source for parts - maybe updated to a single drive belt... ???
Posted By: gearhead Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 04:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: neonova75
I've found the balancer readily available, it's the 250 OEM pulley I can't find. It did come off the balancer, with three bolts and a puller.

Thanks though

Well, the ones I've seen, the grooves are part of the damper.
Anything from this site look familiar?

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DD&Category_Code=CHE
Posted By: jimmy six #35 Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 06:07 PM
I guess I'm a little confused by neonova75. There is a definate differance from old Chev 6's to the 194-292's inside to outside on the pulleys.
When I'm not using a stock water pump I go to the late stuff for my early models. I've used a stock 8" V-8, Fluiddampner, Fishers, and currently use TCI Rattler which I found to be the best for me so far.
One time I did press apart a stock water pump and removed the pulley; then put on a standard electric motor pully which lined up with the pulley bolted on the late model dampner and it worked fine.
So far I've never had a problem with V-8 dampners on my Chevrolet or GMC 6's............Good Luck
Posted By: neonova75 Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 08:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: gearhead

Thanks though

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DD&Category_Code=CHE

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=CHE

Thats pretty much what I'm after. It's seperate from the balancer itself, 2 pieces, I need the outside pulley that the belt lays on
 Originally Posted By: Nexxussian
I thought BHJ and Fludamper both made a perfrormance replcemant for the 6's (235 / 261, not sure about the 250 / 292 etc)?

Probably not what you are looking for, as they would be pricey, but should work better than the stock piece.

Probably doesn't help, but I hope it does.

Nex, I worked with BHJ on the 235 damper. Yes they do have them for sale - when we made it we specifically made it for a 2 groove application. Call Brian Clarke at BHJ and tell him I sent you.
Posted By: gearhead Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/03/09 09:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: gearhead

Thanks though

http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=CHE

Thats pretty much what I'm after. It's seperate from the balancer itself, 2 pieces, I need the outside pulley that the belt lays on

They are sold as a unit, not separately.
Posted By: Nexxussian Re: v8 cyl parts to work on i6 cyl? - 03/04/09 06:54 AM
6, thanks, but I don't need one. I misunderstood what was being asked for (then re-read the post and it was right there, DUHHHH OOOOOps).

I apreciate the info though, thank you. \:\)
© Inliners International Bulletin Board