Inliners International
Posted By: samwise68 A few questions. - 03/07/09 11:14 PM
Hey all, just a few technical questions to run by you all.

1.) With a cam around .500" lift, are the stock studs ok, or do they need to be machined and set up for screw in studs? Also, are the stock rocker's acceptable, or should they be replaced as well.

2.) Which, in your opinion, leads to a better sound for a 6. Steel/glass packs, or two chamber mufflers? I'm looking for a six sound, but not too high pitched...a high demand, I know, which is why I'm asking the experts.

3.) Is the dimpled oil pan an ok fix on a non chevy II 250,to avoid drilling the block for a new dipstick with a chevy II 194 pan?

just trying to get things sorted so that when everything falls into place, everything lines up correctly.

Thanks in advance!

-Sam.
Posted By: tlowe #1716 Re: A few questions. - 03/07/09 11:45 PM
the 500 lift cam is fine with press in studs, unless you really want to wind it up. with the rpm it requires more spring pressure to control the valves. then screw ins are a must.

i use stock rockers on my engine. again if you do not rev it up real tight they will work fine.
It all depends if you are running a solid or roller lifter cam.

Need more info on the cam you are looking at or have already.SPECS:

Mostly matters on your spring pressures.

MBHD
Posted By: Bruce Re: A few questions. - 03/08/09 06:08 PM
A rear sump pan will work fine on a Chevy II with minor hammer work...
Posted By: samwise68 Re: A few questions. - 03/09/09 02:30 PM
The cam I plan to run is still in the air. I don't want to go too radical, but I want it to breath. It'll be a hydraulic, for the sake of easiness, and I'll buy a kit with lifters, keepers, springs...etc. So, I'm assuming it'll come with appropriate springs for that much lift...?

As far as RPM's, shifting at 3k, maybe winding to 4-5k when I hammer it...?

Thanks again all!

-Sam.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board