Inliners International
Posted By: greg9504 Valve Cover Gaskets for GM 250 - 07/05/09 10:42 PM
I recently picked up a vehicle with a GM 250. The year of the vehicle is 1984. Not sure if the engine is original, but the casting number is: 473483.

When I got it the valve cover was leaking bad, enough that the engine smokes from the leaking oil hitting the exhaust. I figured it would be a simple fix. Went to carquest, ordered a valve cover gasket for a 84 GM 250. While it was close, some of the holes were in the wrong spot. So I'm wondering if I need a gasket for a different year? Any idea what year I should ask for or better yet a part number? The part number for the gasket I tried is: VS39755 ( carquest made by Victor Reinz).

I tried to use just silicone but it's leaking just as bad (figures as the old 'gasket' was just silicone too).

The engine and engine compartment were covered in oil, I wish I had a before picture, but these picture are after I degreased and pressure washed.

[on edit] OK I see that I may have gotten a gasket for an "integrated head" as this is what was common in '84. Can anyone confirm that the head is NOT the integrated head? It doesn't look like it to me but just want to be sure, here is a link to a high res (4megs) pick of the intake/exhaust side of the engine: intake - exhaust

Some pictures
valve cover:

Carb

Distributor

Vehicle - 1984 Hyster 15000lb Forklift.

thanks
Posted By: LGriffin_#4385 Re: Valve Cover Gaskets for GM 250 - 07/05/09 11:23 PM
The 84 smog vehicles with 250 had an integral head. You have the early head 63-79(?). The carburetor hat is Hyster(?). That fork looks like what I usually see in the lumber yards here.

Welcome aboard, if you've got plans on making that fastest stud hauler around you've come to the right place. 8^)

LG
Posted By: guitargoalie Re: Valve Cover Gaskets for GM 250 - 07/05/09 11:25 PM
Get a Valve cover gasket for a non integrated head 250.

Just ask for a valve cover gasket from a 72 Nova and you'll get what you want.

I wouldn't have a clue what originally came in that fork truck but you definitely have a non integrated head engine.
Posted By: greg9504 Re: Valve Cover Gaskets for GM 250 - 07/05/09 11:34 PM
Right now I just want to stop it acting like the Exxon Valdez. Thanks for the info!
Posted By: pinebluffdude Re: Valve Cover Gaskets for GM 250 - 07/11/09 04:57 AM
Hey you have a Hydraulic pump on the front of the engine.
I need one of them so I can make me a Low-Rider
© Inliners International Bulletin Board